1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 Black screen at start up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Khyabusa1300, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Khyabusa1300

Khyabusa1300 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I am running windows 7 on a Toshiba Equium P300, and am experiencing problems on start up. What I am getting is a black screen without a cursor, just after the Toshiba screen disappears, which then allows me to do nothing. I am able to get to the F2 & F12 screens but struggling from there. I have tried changing the boot priority, but nothing works, just the black screen. F8 does not work, it just bleeps at me when I press it.
    Help me please, because I am starting to believe there is nothing I can do.

2. donetao

donetao Banned

3. donetao

donetao Banned

4. Khyabusa1300

Hi there.

Thais for the response. I will give that a try when I get home tonight.

5. Khyabusa1300

Hi there,

I have tried the hard reset a couple of times, but to no avail. I still have the black screen.

6. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Have you tried a different monitor?? You could try restoring the BIOS to default. Not being able to get into safe is not not a good sign. Did you make a system repair disc or do you have the system restore media!
    I have a lot of questions. Please post every thing you have tried. Toshiba has a back to factory partion, but that is starting all over. Do you have important data you need to save??
    How long are you waiting for windows to load??

7. Khyabusa1300

Hello there,

I haven't tried plugging into a different monitor, I will try that next as I have one spare.
    I am not sure how to restore the BIOS.
    I do have a Toshiba Product Recovery Disc, which I purchased from Toshiba. I have placed that into the disc drive, but it appears to make no difference.
    There is data on the hard drive which I would like to keeps if at all possible.
    I have left the laptop a few hours switched on after trying to re-start it, but I just get the black screen without cursor just after the Toshiba logo page has flashed up and then disappeared.
    I am able to get to set up after pressing F2, and also to the multi-boot page after pressing F12, but to be honest, I am not too sure what I am doing with these pages and just trying different things.
    Thank you in advance for your help and patience.

8. Khyabusa1300

Hi Donetao,

I have tried a different monitor and that is exactly the same, Toshiba logo screen, then black.

One thing though, when I press the power button to switch it off,, it goes off within a couple of seconds as though it is in hibernation or sleep mode.

9. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi you can have the power button to do different things. If you have data on the drive you need to save; there are a couple of ways to do that. You can use a Linux OS. You can use a docking cable. That is a whole new ball game. If you have the recovery disc from Toshiba, you should be able to either boot with it and choose repair or restore to factory. You will need the boot order set to boot from DVD/CD as the first choice.
    Not knowing your computer skills, it's hard for me to know what to suggest. Please advise what you want to do next. I will ask for more help. If you can't boot with the restore media, possibly hardware problems.:confused:

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Could be bios corruption i which case you need to pull the cmos battery for 3-5 minutes to try to reset it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48CNtdYuRw
    You may want to take it to a shop as this is not a real easy repair even though the battery is a $2 watch battery. But before trying that if you can get into setup (bios) you could try reset to optimum defaults first.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Looks good to me Gary. If that doesn't work just look for "Optimum Default Settings".

13. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! I guess the next step after that would be to find out why you can't boot with the restore media or get to the safe mode????
    Thanks for the help Rich! Welcome aboard!!

14. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi better to start your own thread! Having said that, I would be testing the HDD, testing for over heating and testing the memory before your PC dies and you can't load windows!
    Speccy is a good free software that will check your temps. Lots of free HDD testing software. I prefer seatools. Memtest86+ is good for testing your memory. You really should start your own thread!!;)
    http://www.piriform.com/Speccy/download

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Whoa slow down here the bios reset could fix this so lets see what he can do there Gary before moving on.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1149127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice