1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 boots to blank screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Amadeus47, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amadeus47

Amadeus47 Thread Starter

Running 32 bit RC1 on a dual core 4GB box with 250+ GB HD.

Ran a CHKDSK /r because of error messages in Win 7 System log. Windows was operating OK at that point.

Now boots to blank screen with cursor which will move around using the mouse. Indicates some part of windows is loading.

Tried repair function from RC install disk. All results normal with last message indicating windows booted successfully.

See boot screens up until selection of OS. The only OS loaded is Win 7.

Third party utilities allow me to see files on drive.

Cannot get to safe mode.

Short of reloading Win 7 what suggestions would you have?

Thanks.

2. freebullets

freebullets

Ctrl+Alt+Del?

3. Amadeus47

Amadeus47 Thread Starter

Not sure what a ctrl+alt+del would accomplish but thanks for the suggestion. It did not make any difference.

BTW, I've looked at the other threads here on this topic. I've tried the logical and non-logical just in case. Still no luck.

Downloaded Hirens Boot CD. With it I can see the file system but cannot open any programs.

One thought is the MBR is corrupted. However, if so I would think the Boot Repair would have noted that.

My next thought is to see if I can do a SFC.

In Win 7 is there still the ability to get into the console via the command prompt to attempt a repair? I've repaired XP systems in the past. Not sure if those commands would work under Win 7.

Open to logical and non-logical suggestions.

Thanks.

Mike

4. PureTazr

PureTazr

is windows 7 even out yet lol if not then i would suggest that you not pirate a copy.

but if it's a legal copy you should just put the OS orginal CD in and retart while your CD is still in and just Start fresh

5. Amadeus47

Amadeus47 Thread Starter

Here is a little more detail on what transpires when I try to log into Windows 7 RC1, Build 7100 (BTW, the free download from Microsoft ended earlier this month).
    Blue dashes appear in upper left hand corner of Samsung 906BW monitor. The blue dashes have always appeared on the upper left hand corner when the system was functioning. Surmise this is the time the system is loading drivers (like the mouse and CD/DVD). What may not be loading is a video driver. I tried booting with the low resolution option. No change. Running the ATI 4770 card.
    Ran at least four instances of CHKDSK /f .Get to C:> with Shift + F10 at Win 7 install screen.
    Ran the memory repair just in case. No problems.
    Ran “bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr” to insure the MBR is in good shape. (this is the short version)
    Tried the SFC /scannnow from c:\ and c:\windows\system32. Interesting response in both instances. "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run SFC again." Rebooted four times with no change.
    Here is what I've learned about SFC so far. It hasn't quite worked but I think it is on the right track.

I boot up to the screen to select the OS (Win 7 in my case), F8 to options, Repair, enter password for Admin., select command prompt from menu for the C:>. from there “SFC /scannow /offbootdir=c:\/offwindir=c:\windows”
    This generates the screen for MS Resource Checker Version 6.0 and all the possible options for use with SFC.
    The DIR command brings up all the files on the HD.
    Still no joy  Same issue. Getting to login screen is not happening. A blank screen with a movable cursor.
    Any further suggestions on proper syntax for running offboot SFC? Or, how to get to the login screen (i.e. repair this instance of Windows 7) Any constructive help appreciated.

6. Amadeus47

Amadeus47 Thread Starter

Correction on last post. Running from the CD install disk I was able to run SFC. The syntax is "SFC /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\" What I left out was the space between the forward and back slash.

Result:
    "unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.
    Repair Action: System files integrity check and repair
    Result: failed. Error Code=0x490"

Next ran the Repair function from the DVD. This is after running the MBR suggestion yesterday. This is the result:
    "Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically. (then options to send or not send data to MS).
    Problem Signatures:
    Event Name: Startup repair offline
    Signature 01: 6.1.7100.0
    Signature 02: 6.1.7100.0
    Signature 03: unknown
    Signature 04: 21201225
    Signature 05: external media
    Signature 06: 5
    Signature 07: NoBootFailure
    OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
    Local ID: 1033
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. See the CBS.log file"

Needless to say there is no updated CBS.log file.

c:\windows\logs\recoverydisk\ and c:\windows\logs\systemrestore - is there any help in these?

Appreciate the help.

Mike

7. Amadeus47

Amadeus47 Thread Starter

An update. When booting the computer it gets to the screen to select the OS. In this case the only one is Win 7. By selecting bootlogging from the options menu the system continues, ending in the blank screen with cursor. Restarting with the Win 7 install disk loading the RC, I get to a C:>. From there go to the Windows directory. Enter "type ntbtlog.txt /p" and see the drivers that load. Gets to srv.sys then stops. Tried this several times. The same each time. Question: is there a set order in which the drivers load to be able to determine what one comes next? If so is it possible that driver is corrupt?
    One suggestion was made to copy the backup config files and overwrite the current config (after backing up the current one). Not so sure about doing that.

Suggestions appreciated.

Will post when either something gets me back to where I belong or I give up and go the easy way and reinstall. For now it is a learning experience I hope also helps others. I've seen other posts with the similar issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice