1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 boots to safemode, can not boot normal

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TomHeiser, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomHeiser

TomHeiser Thread Starter

I am working with an emachine with windows 7 home premium installed.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250u Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 703013 MB, Free - 637698 MB;
    Motherboard: eMachines, MCP61PM-GM
    Antivirus: None
    Was given machine with infections, tried to fix viruses with HDD installed but could not boot normal, only safe mode.
    Removed HDD and slaved to working system and ran virus scan. cleared 18 viruses, ran a second scan on drive and it came back clean (used norton antivirus)

Loaded the HDD back into the machine and still can only boot into safe mode. Searched forums and saw similar issue and followed instructions listed below:
    1. Open Regedit.exe
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot
    3. Delete the subkey folder called OPTION
    4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    5. Delete the value called SAFEBOOT_OPTION
    6. Reboot and done
    The problem is, there is no option subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot
    I did delete the SAFEBOOT_OPTION under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    and restarted. It booted in safemode and when I checked regedit again. the SAFEBOOT_OPTION under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    was back and shows Minimal under it. I changed it to normal and restarted and it changes back to minimal after booting to safemode again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why not just format and install an OS fresh or "Recover to factory defaults"? Even if you get all the malware cleaned you'll still be left with somebody else's corruption and garbage.

3. TomHeiser

TomHeiser Thread Starter

I am assuming this is only a minor glitch, something changed in the registry that is causing this. I could reformat and put thier data back on (pictures, songs, documents) but I feel this would be quicker. I can not see why it is defaulting to safemode. I might be missing something but I am relatively new to working with Win7. There was no hardware change, the system, like I said was given to me because of viruses, I cleared the viruses and just can not seem to get it to boot into a regular boot.

Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!