1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 computer cannot access MAC X server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mostlylab, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mostlylab

mostlylab Thread Starter

Windows 7 client cannot connect to Apple OS 10.2.8 server on our LAN.

A new Windows 7 (PRO) computer was able to connect to our old MAC file server (G4 OS X 10.2.8) over our LAN, but suddenly it will not allow access. We had a shortcut on the desktop and could access files just fine, but then it stopped allowing access (possibly after an WIN 7 update??). I can see the MAC server under Network Connections, click on it and see the group folder we normally connect to, but get this error message when I try to access the folder:
    “The server \\ourserver\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The specified server is not available.”

The Win 7 box can ping the MAC server just fine.
    Multiple Windows XP computers connect to and access files on this MAC server with no problems and have done so for years.

All the PC’s on our LAN are in the workgroup “WORKGROUP”. We do not have a Domain.

The MAC server is set with a single group with members that have usernames and passwords. I even set up a new username and password on the MAC server to match the username and password of the user (admin privileges) on the Windows 7 machine. (BTW, I can connect with that new username and password from all our XP machines.)

As far as tweaking settings on this Win 7 machine, I want to be prudent since the machine is correctly connecting to a SQL database running on a Windows 2003 server (using Windows authentication). The Win 7 machine has ODBC by way of “named pipes”. The Win 7 box would not connect using TCP/IP to the database (like all the Windows XP boxes do). Connecting to this database is more important than connecting to the file sever at this point and so I want to not mess up this connection as I trouble shoot the MAC file server connection.

In looking around for solutions, this is what I tried, but it has not helped:

In Windows 7 Local Security Policy I have Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level to “Send LM & NTLM- use NTLMv2 session if negotiated and set the Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP Based to “No Minimum” (unchecked)

The NetBios node type shows hybrid (all the XP boxes show "unknown"). Don't think this is an issue, but....?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice