1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 7 Crash Help Please

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lindi1970, Sep 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lindi1970

Lindi1970 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lindi
    Hello ... Haven't been to this site in awhile so please bear with me as I hope I'm posting this question correctly....

I have a HP Pavillion Desktop ( approx. 3 yrs old )
    Model H8-1234
    Product # H2L72AA#ABA

*Came with Windows 7 installed and Microsoft office

My Daughter while using it this morning encountered a Blue error screen following a Windows encountered an unexpected shut down message. She then decided to take it upon herself to restore it. Well..needless to say she made it worse, she made 7 Backup Discs (Which I did not see her make, so I'm not sure what's really on them) then it asked for windows disk apparently.

Current situation:
    I can not boot into windows or safe mode . I get to the screen allowing me to make a choice of how I'd like to boot in , then when I select something it takes me to either the Blue Dump/Crash window or a pop up that states : Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, Restart the computer.
    Sadly my PC did NOT come with a WIN 7 disk.

I'd appreciate any help or advice.
    Thank you in advance :eek:)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 Desktop PC which was introduced in May 2012 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

The factory restore/system recovery disc kit for it can be purchased HERE

or HERE
    C1.JPG

or HERE
    C2.JPG

(click each image to enlarge and view)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Lindi1970 likes this.
  3. Lindi1970

Lindi1970 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lindi
    Darn, was hoping I could do this via Online, and not have to wait for something via Snail mail .. which I wont get til late next week because of the Holiday.. If anyone knows of an online way to Download and make the WIN 7 restore disk. please let me know.. If not ill purchase the one recommended.
    Thank You :)

4. Lindi1970

Lindi1970 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lindi
    Hi another question (please) Apparently Daughter did make 7 Back up Disks... However I'm not entirely sure what is on them, she says she checked everything except Music. I tried to put the disk in my Laptop and could not view anything at all ( I do see stuff there on disk) but I'm using a WIN 10 laptop. I'd like to know will these back-up disks only work on the PC that created them ? I'm curious because I was able to get into the area on the PC where I can Boot into Restore Factory Settings, however I have ALOT of family pictures on the pc in question and IF Possible would like to TRY to save them.
    Should I go buy more Disks and start the Recovery / Back-up again as it appears it will let me do so.. ? Because I didn't SEE* what my daughter did I feel very unsure about what may/may not have been saved..

Any Suggestions ? Also, I ask this because I'm assuming by purchasing the windows 7 disk from HP I will be doing a complete factory restore as well ??? Forgive me I'm limited in my PC Knowledge.

Thank You anyone for help

5. Lindi1970

Lindi1970 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lindi
    Hi, When you have a moment could you please read my recent replies. Thank you :)

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not there to see what your daughter did, but if she did create a recovery disc kit for that desktop, it'll only work in that desktop and not in your Windows 10 laptop.
    If that desktop's factory restore partition is still intact and working, it may or may not give you the option to retain your personal data.
    I haven't owned a HP desktop since 2008, and I haven't used a HP recovery disc kit since 1999, so I don't know what options the HP factory restore process gives you now.
    Valuable and important personal data should be backed up on a regular basis because you never know when a computer will "crash and burn".
    I personally keep 3 backup copies of my personal data and update it every few weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  7. AtlBo

AtlBo

Lindi...
    You do have some options. Windows 7 has a repair disk option built into the operating system that you can burn. You would need to find someone with a computer to be able to burn the utility to disk. It would then give you a number of options. You may actually find that you can burn in Safe Mode. If so, follow the instruction below to create the repair disk.

To find the utility to burn in Windows 7, type repair in the search bar. Click on "Create a System Repair Disc". Follow the instructions to create the disk. You will find that you can boot any time to this disk to see available options for repairs. Restoring a backup is one of them, but I wouldn't go so far as to restore the backup you have until later. You don't know if that is an entire system image or just files.

The 7 disks, if they were dvds, would be about 30 GB of data. For a full system backup, that would mean that your OS was somewhere between 45-65 GB all together. If you can remember how much space was being used on the PC, you could make a reasonable assumption whether the backup is or is not a full OS backup. It is important that you know that the backup did indeed 100% entirely complete, especially if it is an entire OS backup. Anyway, the 7 backup disks may come in VERY handy later, so please take care of the disks.

BTW, I ALWAYS keep spare hard drives around. Make sure any you have are the same capacity or larger than what is in your PC presently. That way you guarantee that your backup will work.

You can restore a backup from the repair disk. Also, you can run utilities like startup repair and chkdsk. Those may all be options for you, but I recommend you buy a new drive at least to keep handy in case the drive is failing. This will help you sleep easier in case there is a problem.

Get the repair disk and buy a new drive for the computer at least to be on the safe side. Never hurts to have one...

8. Lindi1970

Lindi1970 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lindi
    Hi AtlBo,

I do have a 2nd Laptop I am working from now, However it is WIN10. Is it ok to use a WIN10 Laptop to burn a System Repair Disc for WIN7 ? Thank you for the information. I am getting ready to start another back-up , I bought more DVDs I'd like to first-hand witness what goes on those Discs.

I did make it into the Utility scan and ran tests on Mem, Hard Drive, Smart (something) and everything Passed. So I'm really hoping that's good news;

Thank you for your help.

9. AtlBo

AtlBo

Lindi...This seems to indicate so:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/36083-system-repair-disc-create-windows-10-a.html

I am not sure, but it might be worth a try. You first would need to know the bittage of your OS, 32 bit or 64 bit. In safe mode on the Windows 7 PC click on start->right click on Computer and select Properties. The menu should tell you the bittage of Windows. Now check to make sure it's the same on the laptop running Windows 10.

If it's the same, you can try creating the disk. I should think at this point, you may want to look into r/w disks instead of just read disks, since you will be using so many. r/w disks can be erased and reused, while read only disks are good only for the purpose initially used. What you put on a read only disk is what will always be there.

Also, please do me a favor and check the following. In Safe Mode of the W7 PC, click on Computer on the start menu. Right click on the main drive with the operating system and choose properties. Please tell me the capacity of the drive in GB and then how much space is being used...

10. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    flavallee and AtlBo,

I'm curious why we are trying to do system recovery discs. flavallee's initial response is to buy it, which I don't think is necessary. For AtlBo, she said she couldn't boot into safe mode, so creating the disc that way won't work. Even though it may be okay to create a Windows 10 recovery disc and use it for 7, there's still a better option in my opinion. But this is definitely something that can be tried if the following fails.

What I would do is on her Windows 10 laptop, directly download a Windows 7 ISO from here. This option does require her to know her product key, which is usually on the laptop somewhere. If not, I know you used to be able to download legal ISOs from Microsoft. It seems that they have changed to the link I provided or I just can't find what I'm looking for :mad:. Once she has the ISO, all she has to do is burn it to a DVD or USB. Then, boot into it and try to use Startup Repair or System Restore. Another thing we haven't looked for is trying to see if there's a system recovery partition or other tools that are accessible from boot using one of the various f keys.

I'm not trying to hijack your guys' thread, just providing routes that seem better for this case in my opinion. :)

11. AtlBo

AtlBo

My mistake, Lindi. I did somehow have it in my mind that you could boot into Safe Mode. What reticentAJ says should work, but I'm not 100% sure about downloading the Windows 7 ISO. I haven't tried the download since MS moved them from Digital River. It's worth a try.

The repair disk is, unfortunately, something that Windows users don't know can be critical to have. If there are problems and then if no installation disk is available, the repair disk is tremendously helpful. At any rate, it would be a good idea to go ahead and burn the repair disk in W10, which you still can try. If it doesn't work, you can still have it for use on the W10 computer if required. Then you could try reticent's idea and attempt to download the full Windows 7 installation disk.

The full Windows 7 operating system installation disk does provide options for repair that are very superior to the repair disk...if you can boot into Windows (not Safe Mode). Otherwise, it's generally the same tools you will find on the repair disk. I do recommend having an installation disk of Windows 7 if you can get one, though.

Here is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

If the product key is on the PC, this should work and should give you the same tools as the repair disk would. Otherwise, the best hope is that the W10 repair disk will work or that you can find a friend with the same bit version of Windows 7 as you and get a repair disk that way.

Thanks reticentAJ for pointing that option out...

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The reason why I suggested purchasing a factory restore/system recovery disc kit is so you'll have it if you need it.
    If that desktop's built-in factory restore/system recovery partition gets corrupted or destroyed, or if its hard drive dies and needs to be replaced, you'll be glad to have the disc kit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

13. Lindi1970

Lindi1970 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lindi
    Yeah found the Product key on the outside of the Modem. So I'm working on some of the advice listed above :eek:) Thank You Everyone.. will update soon

14. Lindi1970

Lindi1970 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lindi

Well I tried the link but apparently because the system came pre-installed with the software it will not allow me to make a DVD ISO... I'm on the West Coast Windows or HP will open shortly I will be on the phone at dawn... so frustrated. and Yes I will buy a recovery disk for future use. Actually now I will be sure I have one for each of my computers, I realize the necessity of it .

15. AtlBo

AtlBo

No surprise here. I am "reticent" (no pun intended) about recommending the W7 iso download for this reason. I had completely forgotten about it. Unless the system in question came with a retail disk or the PC owner purchased a retail copy of Windows 7, the key won't work for the iso. Good idea, but too bad it almost never works for anyone, considering who ever had a retail disk of Windows these days(?). Not very many :( .

Personally, I would try the W10 repair disk. It might work it might not, but it only costs the price of a single CD/DVD to find out, and you will have it for use with W10 if necessary down the road. It's all the boot tools necessary to run the most important pre-boot repair tools for Windows, and it's not all that hard to use. Also, the pre-boot tools for Windows are actually fairly effective.

Good luck...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice