1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 does not recognize external hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chita234, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chita234

chita234 Thread Starter

Laptop with XP recognize this disk. This WIN 7 recognize another external hard drive. What to do?​

2. chita234

chita234 Thread Starter

when i inserted the external hard disk to the back USB port, the computer (running win 7) recognized it as "Portable USB drive", but I cannot open the file that i put in this drive. What can I do?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Copy the file to your desktop and try it again.

4. chita234

chita234 Thread Starter

I cannot open the disk as it is now "portable USB drive" so i cannot open and copy the file.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What else would you expect a portable USB drive to be called?

OK. You said you couldn't open the file. You didn't mention the drive.

The file system on the drive is probably damaged. The best idea would be to remove the partitions and create new ones, formatted NTFS. A new drive should always be prepared in this way, despite whatever the directions say. All data on the drive will be lost, so use your backup files.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Right-click the drive and delete the volume. Right-click it again and create a new one.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice