Solved Win 7 driver for USB dongle

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bxcfilm

Brian
Mini Fast Nano Wifi LAN USB Dongle 150Mbps Wireless Adapter 802.11N UK

I bought one of these and I'm having trouble finding the right driver. (Win 7) Windows has searched for it online and found nothing.

The device details under Device Driver are: USB\VID_148F&PID_7601&REV_0000 and
USB\VID_148F&PID_7601

I found a driver which has a text file including this:

%Generic.DeviceDesc% = OS61_RTWLANR_7601.ndi, USB\VID_148F&PID_7601

Doesn't this mean that the driver should work with the dongle?

I tried to update the driver by getting Windows to search in the folder where I have this driver (and nothing else), but Windows didn't identify the files as a driver.

Should this be working? Am I doing something wrong?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to that "Hardware Ids" information, you have a MediaTek 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card.

It's unknown which chipset yours has, but it's probably a Ralink model.

Didn't yours come with a driver install disc?

The only on-line driver I saw for it at the Microsoft Update Catalog site is for Windows 8.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

OverTallman

Jacky
"VID_148F" points towards it having a Realtek RTL8812AU chipset, but I can't confirm that.

---------------------------------------------------------------
RTL8812AU is dual band and 802.11ac capable (1200Mbps), totally different level.

Seems like it's using MediaTek MT7601U chipset, which is the same used in TP-Link TL-WN727N v4, D-Link DWA-127 B1, Edimax EW-7711UAn v2 and Edimax EW-7711ULn v2. I think I have a few nano dongles using this chipset too.

Now you have two options:
  1. Download the official driver from MTK and install it. Note that the one you need is "USB (RT2870/ RT2770/ RT307X/ RT2070 RT357X/ RT3370/ RT8070/ RT5X7X/ MT7610/ MT7601/MT7612U)".
  2. Download the driver from TP-Link/D-Link/Edimax (for their respective device) and install it in Device Manager.

bxcfilm

Brian
According to that "Hardware Ids" information, you have a MediaTek 802.11n USB Wireless LAN card, but it's unknown which chipset it has.

It probably has a Ralink chipset, but it may also have a Realtek chipset.

Didn't yours come with a driver install disc?

The only on-line driver I saw for it at the Microsoft Update Catalog site is for Windows 8.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Frank for your rapid reply. "MediaTek" gives me something more to search for.

No, it didn't come with a disc...

I have found something here which might fit the bill, although I think it will be tomorrow before I can find out.

bxcfilm

Brian
RTL8812AU is dual band and 802.11ac capable (1200Mbps), totally different level.

Seems like it's using MediaTek MT7601U chipset, which is the same used in TP-Link TL-WN727N v4, D-Link DWA-127 B1, Edimax EW-7711UAn v2 and Edimax EW-7711ULn v2. I think I have a few nano dongles using this chipset too.

Now you have two options:
  1. Download the official driver from MTK and install it. Note that the one you need is "USB (RT2870/ RT2770/ RT307X/ RT2070 RT357X/ RT3370/ RT8070/ RT5X7X/ MT7610/ MT7601/MT7612U)".
  2. Download the driver from TP-Link/D-Link/Edimax (for their respective device) and install it in Device Manager.
Thanks Jacky,

I have downloaded from MTK, and tomorrow I will try it out.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Jacky is one of the hardware experts here, so I'll leave you with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

bxcfilm

Brian
Thanks Jacky,

I have downloaded from MTK, and tomorrow I will try it out.
Well, what can I say? It works! I installed the whole package, rather than just the driver.

Very many thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online