1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 Freezes On Start (photos included)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dlindner, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlindner

dlindner Thread Starter

I somehow got the Windows Recovery virus.

[​IMG]

It's a fake computer analysis and optimization program that displays fake information in order to scare you into believing that there is an issue with your computer so you buy some program.

I followed the steps found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-recovery (installed Malwarebytes, rkill, and unhide).

My computer recovered back to normal, except it ran slower than usual and sounded like it was constantly loading/thinking.

Within 30 minutes, my computer restarted without being prompted to do so and now it freezes every time it tries to load. I've tried all the safe modes and it freezes before loading windows. I've included two screen shots, where it freezes every time. You will notice a banner of pixelated colors at the top of the screen which occurs when it freezes.

Please help.

Attached Files:

2. dlindner

dlindner Thread Starter

still no luck.. :( any ideas.

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

When a system is infected it is wide open to other infections getting into the system unhindered. So, although you have taken steps to remove the known infection there is a high posibility that other infections are active in the system.

There are two choices of action open to you, back up all your important data and then format the drive and do a clean install, or open a new thread in the Malware forum where a member of the Malware staff will help to clean your system. I'd love to help with that but I'm not qualified just yet.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice