win-7 hibernate/sleep mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bernsinlanc

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4060 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset, 1806 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 423551 MB; D: Total - 599999 MB, Free - 574625 MB; E: Total - 353865 MB, Free - 353763 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41M-ES2L
Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

I've been having an on-going issue with the hibernate/sleep mode, to the point, where I need to keep my hand on the mouse to be able to read for more than a minute on the display. I know that it is not the monitor, as I used this same monitor to work on a friend's desktop, and the unit NEVER went to sleep. I've tried MANY of the "fixes" in e-How, from Microsoft, and others from Google. And they never work. When I reboot, within a minute or two, the display goes blank. HELP!!!
Bernie

have you checked your power scheme settings. Looks like its set to go into hibernate after 2 mins.

bernsinlanc

I checked the "Power" settings, and find that it is set to 5 minutes for the display, and 15 minutes for the drive. By actual timing, the display turns off about 57 or 58 seconds after the last mouse movement, every time. I also tried to set my own sleep/ hibernate schedule, and that does NOT change the length of time that the display stays on. Any other ideas??

Bernie

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Turn them both OFF and see if you still have the problem?
If so, then it is something else, maybe even hardware.

bernsinlanc

Well, dang!! I should have said from the gitgo that I was talking about a home-built DESKTOP. I'm thinking that this is a Win-7 issue.

Bernie

DoubleHelix

Banned
There must be something else installed that's controlling the power options settings. Take a good look at every program you have installed. Anything related to security, performance, tweaking, etc. could be the culprit.

Who else has physical access to your computer? Is it possible someone is pranking you?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No, it is not a Windows 7 issue, but a setting that you or a program has set or a hardware issue.

Did you turn off the sleep/hibernation as suggested above?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.