1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 7 home premium install on laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by enigma., Jul 11, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. enigma.

enigma. Thread Starter

Ok thanks for that. various rams have me stumped so opened up back of laptop and copied this:
    1GB 2Rx16 PC2 5300s-555-12
    HYMP 112S 64CPS 45 AB 0811
    The ram in the is hymix, pretty pricy, hopefully if
    I know what to get I might be able to get something locally a bit cheaper.
    Hoping to get 4gb
    Thank you.
    p.s. from what I can gather 240 pin is for PC as the unit in laptop is a lot smaller so perhaps 200 pin is for laptop !!

2. C141

C141

I wouldn't concern yourself with the brand you have. Other brands besides Hynix should work as long as you stick with PC2 5300s. Both sticks, 2x2GB should be identical. With 4GB installed you'll get full use with a 64 bit Win7 install.
    As to pricey....not necessarily. I've had good luck purchasing used RAM from eBay & Amazon at excellent prices. Also in my local area are 2 electronic recyclers & I've scored good deals through both. Some here will say only purchase new, & I probably would too for a new computer. Considering the age of yours.....save some money & shop pre-owned.
    And you are correct, I provided info for desktop memory, my error. Laptop DDR2 does have, as you have gleaned, 200 pins & often come identified by an additional S in their designation. PC2 5300s.

If you do install Win7 be sure to read flavallee's excellent guide here: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM
  3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

DDR2 PC2-5300 is also known as DDR2-667, so be aware of that when buying modules.

240-pin, unbuffered, non-ECC modules is what you need.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. enigma.

enigma. Thread Starter

Thanks, found a 2gb module with exactly the same info as the one in the laptop, so have ordered it. from what I have read sofar they have 200 pins.

5. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

6. enigma.

enigma. Thread Starter

Rang Toshiba and model is considered to be to old to be included, hence no show and message in yellow.
    Fact that people look after their gear etc obviously does not count.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192816