1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 7 install problem

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by deemac02, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deemac02

deemac02 Thread Starter

I have a 2013 27inch iMAC using OS X Yosemite v10:10:3.

As per the manual, I went to install WIN 7 on its Partition.

10 seconds into the acual installation section, the machine froze. I left it for four hours and still no movement.
    There seemed no other option than to switch it off and start again. I then got a message saying,”No boot option etc etc,” and to put one in. Using my rusty but trusty XP on an old computer, I managed to get the advice that, by pressing alt and the Start button at the same time, I woiuld get back a choice of which OS I wanted.
    So I then got an icon of a harrd ddisc so I clicked that and got back my system.
    Or I thought I did.
    What I have looks like OS X 'Lite' if you can understanf that. It's all there but lacks certain things in presentation, eg the bookmarks are there but lack any individual icons. The operation is not as smooth and, whenever I switch off, I have to go through the whole start up proceedure again.

Where has my boot thingy gone. I thought it was on the USB disc which I used to install WIN 7, but the machine doesn't recognise such a file. The disc is wiped which is what the installation instructions said would happen and my system won't permit me to re start the whole process all over again.

Can anyone help please.?

2. Headrush

Headrush

Is this a real iMac or the a close hardware machine listed in your signature?

You mentioned the installation instructions, what/which instructions are you talking about?
    Are you looking to dual boot OS X and Windows or just have Windows?

The machine is slow because you likely had shift held which starts it in safe mode.

If you want to install Windows on a real iMac, you need to use Bootcamp provided by Apple. Did you use that?

3. deemac02

deemac02 Thread Starter

Ignore the signature. I thought I'd altered that. That was the last m/c--caught fire!

Yes I have a real iMAC and it's been difficult to get used to.

I have two items labelled 'Boot Camp"
    1. A large icon which is a copy of my main MAC Hard Drive and which is empty
    2. A usb disc which I used to install the first attempt. Should I transfer that to my desk top or restart the m/c with the USB left plugged in. It doesn't like to be started with USB sticks in the machine. I'll try it and see what happens.

The instructions are from the .net and a manual, "Switching to the Mac".

The only way I can start it is by pressing 'alt + ON button" Now I know it has a 'Saje Mode', I can understand the skinny OS that I'm using. Thanks.

4. Headrush

Headrush

This is the guide you should be following: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201468

Is your Windows copy 64 bit?

Safe mode is holding the shift key.
    Holding the Option key (alt) should bring up the boot menu screen.

Not all USB sticks are the same. Have you tried with another and you shouldn't need the USB stick until after Windows loads so you can install drivers provided by Apple.

By chance did your guide have the Windows setup on a partition on the USB stick?
    If so I've seen more issues with this over just burning Windows to a DVD/CD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice