1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 7 install steals 100 gig off hard drive on install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jashmore, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jashmore

jashmore Thread Starter

Install win 7 on hp9417cl laptop with a 250 gig hitachi drive with a drive C and a small drive d for reinstalling the original hp image. I was given a choice of which one to have the install on, chose drive c and when the install was done the drive had only 149 gig!!

What happened and what can I do?

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Depends on the amount of memory you have. Remember that in addition to the operating system, Windows will create a swap file (virtual memory) which will depend on the amount of memory you already have. The less memory you have, the larger the initial swap file. Windows will also create a prefetch folder (it's small) which will depend on the amount of disk space you have and the number of programs you open.

Both, the swap file and the prefetch folder, will adjust to a smaller size if you need the disk space.

Note that the prefetch folder is in your Windows directory (unhidden). The swap file is a hidden file in the Windows folder, unless you make any changes to it. If you do, it will move to the root of whatever drive you put it on. If you just make a change to the size, it will still move to the root of the drive.

Courtney

3. jashmore

jashmore Thread Starter

I think I wasn't clear. I didn't mean "available" as in left after files. When I go into hard drive maintenance instead of showing a drive of about 240 gigs and an 8 gig HP reinstall partition it shows a drive size of about 140 gigs and an 8 gig hp reinstall partition.

Thanks.

Jim

4. jashmore

jashmore Thread Starter

Courtney, I am still l baffled. I have either miscommunicated or totally misunderstood your response.

Jim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883673