Win 7 installed, no mouse, no touchpad, no ethernet, only kb

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eekain

I have just clean installed a new win 7 pro on my laptop, and after it installs and i log in, i can't move the cursor either with touchpad or usb mouse.
It tells me that I should download some support programs, but then again, it does not seem to recieve wifi signals, and when i plug in the ethernet cable it still says no connection avaiable.
What should I do?

Keyboard works just fine.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have just clean installed a new win 7 pro on my laptop
What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that laptop?

Did you clean install Windows 7 Professional 32-bit or 64-bit, and does it include Service Pack 1?

BEFORE you clean installed Windows 7 in that laptop, you should've identified its primary devices(chipset, graphics, audio, wireless, ethernet, touchpad, etc.) and obtained the drivers for them.

If you haven't seen the Windows 7 install and upgrade guide in the "Windows 7" section, I suggest you do and make use of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Eekain

Did you clean install Windows 7 Professional 32-bit or 64-bit, and does it include Service Pack 1?

BEFORE you clean installed Windows 7 in that laptop, you should've identified its primary devices(chipset, graphics, audio, wireless, ethernet, touchpad, etc.) and obtained the drivers for them.

If you haven't seen the Windows 7 install and upgrade guide in the "Windows 7" section, I suggest you do and make use of it.

I... have missed that opportunity and boldly did what wikihow told me to do....

I'll download SP1 on my other laptop, but will I be able do run it from a flash drive, or is there much else needed to do?

I'll follow the reamining steps also, and hope it works out somehow

Eekain

ASUS X540LJ-XX609D

Win7 pro 64-bit, and no service pack, unfortunately.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Win7 pro 64-bit, and no service pack, unfortunately.
I suggest you go HERE and read the second part of step #1 and also step #3.
Until Service Pack 1 is installed and the necessary drivers are installed, you should not proceed any further down the list of steps.
ASUS X540LJ-XX609D
HERE is the support site for the ASUS X540LJ "X" series laptops.
It originally came with Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit, and its "Support - Driver & Tools" section provides drivers only for Windows 10 64-bit.
Why are you doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit in it?

It appears to have these primary devices:
Intel chipset
Intel and/or NVIDIA graphics
Realtek audio
Realtek ethernet
Atheros or Realtek wireless

It's my guess there are Windows 7 64-bit drivers for all of its primary devices, but they need to be identified first before you can search for the appropriate drivers.
Go into the Device Manager and then expand these headings:
Display Adapters
Network Adapters
Sound Video And Game Controllers

What's the exact names of the devices listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Eekain

Why are you doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit in it?

At the shop they sold it with basically no OS, a Linux boot-up. That's why.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What exactly did you use to install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and how did you activate it?

You haven't replied to the last part of post #5, so we still don't know the identity of those devices.

Eekain

It's my guess there are Windows 7 64-bit drivers for all of its primary devices, but they need to be identified first before you can search for the appropriate drivers.
Go into the Device Manager and then expand these headings:
Display Adapters
Network Adapters
Sound Video And Game Controllers

What's the exact names of the devices listed there?
had a hard time, since I have no way to move the cursor, also it does not seem to support touch pad or usb mouse (My fault, but is still hurts)
Also, is my way of installing Service Pack 1 only via cd-rom now, since it can not read usb devices?

One more thing, the mouse lights up and works up to the point where windows boots up, but not after the login screen is on.... is there really no way of enabling that usage in the windows as well? It'd make things a couple lot easier...

Eekain

had a hard time, since I have no way to move the cursor, also it does not seem to support touch pad or usb mouse (My fault, but is still hurts)
Also, is my way of installing Service Pack 1 only via cd-rom now, since it can not read usb devices?

One more thing, the mouse lights up and works up to the point where windows boots up, but not after the login screen is on.... is there really no way of enabling that usage in the windows as well? It'd make things a couple lot easier...
I have no real way of knowing the exact names, since it's in a different language to english, but i'll try to translate it
Almost all things work, the stuff that has yellow exclamation marks above it are int the "Other adapters" package:
3D-video adapter
Ethernet-adapter
Network-adapter
here come two unknown adapters, the names are(ACPI/INT3400 and ACPI/MSFT0101)
two "PCI datareading and processing adapter"s
PCI ordinary communicational adapter
PCI-tool
SM bus adapter
Universal Serial Bus (USB) adapter

Eekain

What exactly did you use to install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and how did you activate it?

You haven't replied to the last part of post #5, so we still don't know the identity of those devices.

I used a cd with the software on it I burned, and got the key by buying it, so it's not a pirated one.

For some circumstances it had to be a win 7.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Double-click each of those devices to open its properties window.
Once its properties window appears, click the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.
There should be one or more strings that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.
Advise what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_
Be careful not to make any typos because those codes will determine the description of those devices.
Once those devices are properly identified, it shouldn't be too difficult to locate Windows 7 64-bit drivers for them.

The Intel chipset driver needs to be installed first before installing the other drivers.
That allows the Windows operating system to properly detect and configure that laptop's devices.
Go HERE to download and save the SetupChipset.exe file.
Close all open windows first, then double-click that saved file to start the install process.
After it's installed, restart your laptop.
Note: If you haven't installed Service Pack 1 yet for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, that should be done first.

Eekain

Double-click each of those devices to open its properties window.
Once its properties window appears, click the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.
There should be one or more strings that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.
Advise what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_, and be careful not to make any typos.
Those codes will determine the description of those devices.
Once those devices are properly identified, it shouldn't be too difficult to locate Windows 7 64-bit drivers for them.

The Intel chipset driver needs to be installed first before installing the other drivers.
That allows Windows 7 to properly detect and configure that laptop's devices.
Go HERE to download and save the SetupChipset.exe file.
Close all open windows first, then double-click that saved file to start the install process.
After it's installed, restart your laptop.
Note: If you haven't installed Service Pack 1 yet for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, that should be done first.

Can't click :(
No usb reader or touch pad

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Can't click
No usb reader or touch pad
Since you basically have a non-functioning laptop, do another clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and then install its Service Pack 1 upgrade afterwards and then see if it works better.
I used a cd with the software on it I burned, and got the key by buying it
Where did you obtain Windows 7 Pro 64-bit from, and how did you create a bootable DVD?
Where did you buy the product key from?
I'm not there, but I suspect there's a problem with your copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Last edited:

Eekain

Since you basically have a non-functioning laptop, do another clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and then install its Service Pack 1 upgrade afterwards and then see if it works better.

Where did you obtain Windows 7 Pro 64-bit from, and how did you create a bootable DVD?
Where did you buy the product key from?
I'm not there, but I suspect there's a problem with your copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

THanks for your guidiance, I'll call it a day now, tomorrow morning I'll install it properly. (21 pm in my region, and I haven't slept for quite a while, your answers were really useful.
To answer those questions: I downloaded it, and burned the cd a few years prior, and now my relative bought a laptop, asked me if they could use it. He bought the activation code from some legal source (we have a whole of 4-5 pages of ownership papers from the it-shop he bought it in)

I got my hands on a few clean cd-s, so I'm gonna burn the service pack on them now, and go to sleep. Once again, thank you.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I downloaded it, and burned the cd a few years prior, and now my relative bought a laptop, asked me if they could use it. He bought the activation code from some legal source
I question the legitimacy of your copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and the product key you have, but we can address that later.
First, you need to get it and its service pack installed and get an internet connection.
I got my hands on a few clean cd-s, so I'm gonna burn the service pack on them now
The Service Pack 1 upgrade for Windows 7 64-bit is file name windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe and is about 903 MB in size, so it cannot be burned on a recordable CD.
You will need a recordable DVD.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online