1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 LegalNotice click-through at bootup - how to change format

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mvanders, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mvanders

mvanders Thread Starter

Hi, folks.

My IT shop recently rolled out several hundred new Dells with Windows 7. We've had minimal problems so far.

However, our HR and legal folks are bugging us to change the format of the LegalNotice screen at Win7 startup. All PCs are connected to shared network resources and they insist on the LegalNotice being activated, with an "appropriate use" message displayed and a click-through acknowledgement by the user.

In Win XP, this notice was displayed in a separate dialog box, with the message in a simple black-on-white textbox.

In Win7, the notice now comes up in the center of a blue graphic background, and is in a bluish font that is both smaller (in high screen resolutions, especially) and a harder-to-read typeface, which makes the notice virtually useless.

LegalNotice is controlled by a couple registry settings, but they only allow you to activate it, set the box caption, and set the box text. No other format control is available, e.g., font type, size, weight, textbox background/transparency, etc.

One thought we had was to imbed the notice in the background graphic, but that raised problems with centering and placement due to differing monitor resolution settings. Plus we haven't quite figured out how to replace the default graphic.

If any of you have ideas/suggestions, I'll appreciate your input. Thanks!

2. valis

valis Moderator

dunno if we are going to be able to help with this, as it's a corporate entity. Have you contacted LegalNotice directly?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

valis, I think the poster is referring to the functionality built into Windows to set a legal notice at the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen. It also sounds like the poster IS in the IT department and is asking for help.

I don't have any ideas off the top of my head but wanted to clarify the question.

4. valis

valis Moderator

I think you are right....got the first part, but just skimmed over the second. You are talking about a notice that will come up that you can customize, correct?

Isn't that pushed out via Group Policy? Or at least can't it be?

Regardless, all they (HR) want to do is change the appearance?

5. mvanders

mvanders Thread Starter

DoubleHelix, you're exactly correct!!! I took it for granted if I posted in a Win7 forum it would be understood as a feature of Win7, but could have been clearer.

I was also worried I'd violated a forum rule by posting a question about a work-related issue, but there was nary a hit on my subsequent search of the forum rules.

So, yeah, the Win7 LegalNotice feature is the issue, and I'm the IT guy trying to find the answer. I've already exhausted our support sources here, or I woudn't have bothered y'all.

Again, TIA for any suggestions.

6. valis

valis Moderator

Yeah, he's pretty consistent at that......;) Me, I see the forest and wonder where the dang trees are. :)

7. mvanders

mvanders Thread Starter

Valis, when the LegalNotice function is activated via registry setting, it comes up in a small bluish font on a blue background. It is very hard to read, and we've been asked to make the appropriate-use text (e.g., "No surfing!!! Do some work for a change!!!") come up in, say, 16pt bold black font on white background, instead of 8pt blue-on-blue.

And again, the crux of the issue seems to be MS left no easy way in Win7 to address the size/color/weight of the font displaying the notice.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have seen this question asked many times over the years and I am pretty sure this functionality is not built-in to Windows or Group Policy for that matter. I do remember people talking about 3rd party alternatives though. I was never much of a Windows Server admin, my main focus was Novell for years and was always more flexible with things like that.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!