1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bok, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bok

bok Thread Starter

Hello... Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Problem: Unable to connect to the internet thru router

Hardware: Motorola Modem, Netgear N-300 WNR2000v3 router, Dell Vostro 470

History: The above listed hardware configuration worked for internet access until I bought a new Dell for my dad. Actually, it worked for about 10 minutes (as I downloaded some anti-virus software and Win 7 updates). After I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 security updates(46 to be exact), I could not get access again. Would rolling back the updates(or going to a restore point) be advisable? If so, how would I do that in Win 7. My computer at home is XP, so I don't have much knowledge of Win 7. What's kind of weird is that my mom's computer, which is also connected(wired, not wireless) to the same router works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bok

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Go to start icon in bottom left hand corner. Type system restore. Click on system restore. Go to a restore point before you installed everything. This should get your internet back.

3. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

You may try disabling the Windows firewall temporarily just narrow down the problem. You also mentioned that you successfully downloaded an antivirus package and then it quit. You may try uninstalling that to see if it comes back up.

Mike

4. bok

bok Thread Starter

Thanks! I will try both solutions... I still had an internet connection after I installed the virus protection, so I don't think that is the problem, but I will still follow up. I also tried to disable the windows firewall, but that didn't work...

If do a system restore, I will still need to install the Win 7 security updates again. Should I do a custom install and skip some of the 46 different updates?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I wouldn't do a System Restore unless nothing else works. And there is no point in disabling the Windows firewall.

What firewall (other than Windows') or security suite is, or ever was, on the system? What Anti-virus did you install?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. bok

bok Thread Starter

Thanks.... Anti virus software is Avast I will try your solutions tonight..

7. bok

bok Thread Starter

Turns out that the problem was with the antivirus software...I uninstalled it and the everything worked... What is the best freeware antivirus software out there... I use Avast on my home computer. I tried Avira on my dad's as a temp fix until I get some recommendations.

Thanks all for your time!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The best for not interfering with networking is Microsoft Security Essentials.

For other criteria the "best" will vary (and I avoid those discussions).

You're welcome. :)

9. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

I second TerryNet on the MS Security Essentials...been using it for quite a while now with no issues (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice