1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 Networking Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NozzaC, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

I've been trying to connect two Win7 computers together with mixed results. One is a PC the other a laptop and they are connected wirelessly via a Linksys router which has the latest firmware.

For starters Homegroup does not work. I can set up a Homegroup but the other computer will never find it. I have been through the process several times following the MS instructions to the letter and read many forum posts. Nothing I have read or done indicates a user configuration error. It just does not work. Is it possible that this is caused by the router not having IP6 or something (which it doesn't)?

So I moved on to using just standard Windows networking. I can ping each computer fine, the IP config is set up fine, they both have the same Workgroup etc. And this works perfectly....for a while and then suddenly stops working. This can happen in the middle of usage or on restart. I can get it working again by rebooting the router.

Any ideas?!

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    For the most part, not many networks have adopted IPv6. You will still connect to a website using IPv4, so I don't think that this has a bearing on your network connection.

About how much of a while is it before you lose the connection? Is it after a set period of time, or is it random?

When you lose connection, can you still connect to the router login page (unless you change it, you can connect to it through your web browser on 192.168.1.1)

3. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

Win 7 Homegroup apparently requires IPv6 to operate.

4. antech

antech Banned

Can you access the internet wothout any connection dropouts?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!