1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Win 7 Pro FREE upgrade to Win 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by satellite740, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. satellite740

satellite740 Thread Starter

I know that Microsoft has officially ended the FREE Windows 10 upgrade but I've also read that it's still available. So I've come to the Tech Support Guy for a definitive answer on the issue. Can Win 7 Pro licensed OEM still get the FREE Win 10 Upgrade? If so, can I get a FREE upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Home or will I have to go with Win 10 Pro?

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  3. satellite740

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your computer(no description given) came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, you should still be able to upgrade it for free to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    You cannot upgrade from the "Pro" version to the "Home" version.

I prefer to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    These are the canned instructions that I use in a computer that has a working legal copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

How To Clean Install And Activate Windows 10

1. Insert the bootable Windows 10 disc in its drive, then expose its contents.
    2. Expose the contents of the sources folder.
    3. Copy the gatherosstate.exe file to the desktop.
    4. Right-click that file and then click "Run as Administrator".
    5. A GenuineTicket.xml file will appear on the desktop.
    6. Copy that file to a USB thumb drive or burn it to a disc.
    7. Do a clean install of Windows 10.
    8. Skip the step to enter a product key.
    9. After Windows 10 is installed, navigate to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket folder.
    10. Use the media you have the GenuineTicket.xml file saved in to copy it inside the GenuineTicket folder.
    11. Restart the computer.
    Windows 10 should now be activated - which can be confirmed by opening the system properties window and checking its activation status.

Notes:
    The above steps should work fine in a computer that already has had a legal copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 installed in it.
    The GenuineTicket.xml file will only work in the same computer that it was created in.
    Before you complete step #9, you may first need to navigate to File Explorer, then click "View - Options - Change folder and search options", then click "View - Show hidden files, folders and drives", then click Apply.

5. satellite740

Thanks very helpful!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Nice install schedule, Frank (y)

It's interesting that MS hasn't shut that 'door' to a freebie.

I wonder what they're up to? :D

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 10 has been out since July 2015.
    Up until several months ago, those steps worked fine.
    I intentionally bought my last refurbished Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitower without a Windows operating system.
    After I did a clean install and activation of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit in it, I used those same steps to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    It activated just fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    It works and it's legal......(y)

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :D :) (y)

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    MS hasn't shut the door because they want the almost 37% (end of December 2018 stats) of Windows 7 users to install 10.

12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I can think of one they won't be getting.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Make that 2 !

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

I must upgrade because my clients are on it. Win 10 has added some convenience features: 1) you can now pin new folders to the Quick Access on the right of Explorer. 2) You can now copy and paste in the command prompt using CTRL-C and CTRL-V without going to the top left menu. 3) There is supposed to be this cross machine copy and paste thing which I haven't tried - I have an old utility that does that.

Then there are things which I don't like: 1) firewall rules being auto re-enabled 2) More things are connecting to the net, meaning more things to get attacked 3) some services has been re-done, but they didn't update the description, making it difficult to know truly what they are doing e.g. Dnscache is now no longer just a cache, it does resolving, yet the description is the old one. 4) some services now have changing numerical post-fixes and cannot be disabled across reboots 5) Cortana invades privacy and some settings has to be turned off after install - more work. 6) You have to do a clean install every 6 months for each version upgrade.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yes, for me, Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows I use.
    I'll move on to something with fewer problems. Since my husband and I are in our 70's, we now use the computers to surf, read and answer emails and watch the occasional YouTube video. (not movies, mainly instruction videos).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice