Win 7 Pro from Home Premium

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clutchguy

If I do a clean install of Win 7 Pro on my laptop that currently has Win 7 Home Premium on it, how to I make sure that all my settings and information is retained? The anytime upgrade is not an option.

A full installation of windows 7 or any OS. You will loose everything. This is because of your hard drive partition is wiped, your partition is what holds the info. which is everything. You will have to make back ups via a usb device or cd.

clutchguy

would Easy Transfer work for all my applications and programs?
Would a system image work? I foresee issues with the latter because it would be of the old OS.

Thanks!

Shrink the C drive to about 80 gigs which will give you room to create another volume. Move your Documents ot the new partition and then install Pro and let it overwrite the old C drive. Your data on D or E will be saved and protected AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT DELETE IT DURING THE INSTALL.

Microsoft are very funny about going backwards with operating systems, apart of their marketing schemes.

Ive never personally used easy transfer, but you can try to make back up images on to cd or usb device and try to restore them after installation. I havent tried it personally coz it sounds lil dodgy, plus i keep back ups of all my installations :) so i dont have to do such a thing anyways.

No harm in trying though. Just keep in mind that you could loose everything.

Shrink the C drive to about 80 gigs which will give you room to create another volume. Move your Documents ot the new partition and then install Pro and let it overwrite the old C drive. Your data on D or E will be saved and protected AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT DELETE IT DURING THE INSTALL.
Yep that sounds like it could work :) I'd listen to him

clutchguy

I'll give it a whirl, @jmwillis. Let you know how it works out. Thanks all. I should've thought of that.

clutchguy

I'm copying that folder, program and program(x86) folders to portable hd. Should I apply the program folders once I've installed the new OS?

You cannot copy the program files folder back to a new installation. those will have to be reinstalled.

Data is okay to copy back and forth but not the Programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online