Win 7 to Win 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deubanks

I upgraded an ACER notebook with win 8.1 to win 10 with no problem via windows update. I did not have many added apps on the notebook.

I have a Gateway desktop with a lot of apps on it. I use it for pictures and home movie editing and for online banking.
I have read a lot of the problems here that people have while upgrading or after upgrading.

I would like to hear what people have to say about wheather, after upgrading from win 7 if you are happy with win 10. Did you loose any of your apps when you upgraded. Do you like win 10 better than win 7?
I use windows mail and would like to know if that will upgrade also without loosing the e-mails.

Does the upgrade allow a clean win 10 install?

The notebook had the icon in the right lower screen to upgrade but the win 7 desktip has never had the icon.
Can it be upgraded without the icon?

Thanks for any info you happy upgraders from win 7 to win 10 can give me.

Don

First you need to make sure the PC/laptop in question that is running 7 is fully supported by the OEM with drivers. If not...this is what everybody is running into for problems.

Just because one has a qualifying OS for upgrade.....doesn't mean that the hardware on said system is supported. Users are just blindly upgrading their OS without checking. Then on top of all that....if the upgrader waits more than the 30 days to revert back to the original OS, then they are stuck with windows 10...unless they've retained the hidden partition that has the recovery image and the proprietary software to reinstall. Which is a factory reinstall and they lose everything.

Users need to do their research first before just willy nilly upgrading.....

dustyjay

Jay
First thing to do is go to the Manufacturer Website and see if there are Win 10 Drivers available for the Gateway. This is an area where many people get into problems. Just because Win 10 Upgrade notification says Win 10 is available for your Desktop doesn't mean it is supported by the manufacturer. I am using a Dell Laptop that originally came with Win Vista and had no drivers for Win 7 yet I did an upgrade installation of 7 then Win 10. Win 10 actually works better on it than Win 7 did.

deubanks

Thanks for the replies but I need a couple of the questions that I asked answered.
I will try to check on the drivers. It is a Gateway desktop that came with win 7 installed. Since it is about five or six years old, the drivers might not be available.

Does the upgrade allow a clean win 10 install?
I use windows mail and would like to know if that will upgrade also without loosing the e-mails.
Is a clean win 10 install possible or is only the upgrade available?

The win 7 desktop has never had the icon for the win 10 upgrade.

You can only do a clean install After you have done a upgrade install and activated it.

You can only do a clean install After you have done a upgrade install and activated it.
Apparently not anymore.....My MVP bud was informed by his MVP lead that the option/choice to do a clean install during an upgrade is now "supposedly" available. Let me get back to you on this....

Oh yeah that's right. I read somewhere that you can now use your Win 7 or Win 8 activation key with Win 10 clean install. I haven't tried that, so I am not sure about it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online