1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 7 wont load past welcome screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zoff, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Windows 7 Home Basic, in a HP DM1, AMD E-350, 4gb RAM, 320 GB HDD.

Last played a movie using HDMI. Returned to use it a few hours later and it took forever to load. Once it did, it took me to an unfamiliar home page.

Turns out I was logged in to a temporary profile. I found my files but did not dare move them yet. Tried F8 and then startup repair. (It said i attached a device and should disconnect and then restart) Then I tried a regedit fix (HKLM .. profiles). After that I cant seem to login even in safe mode. Got a very short message (fatal error) in a BSD.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Do you have a Windows installation disc or a repair disc?

Can you get to the Advanced Boot Menu using the F8 key at startup?

Do you have access to another PC with Windows 7 installed and a CD burner?

3. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Do you have a Windows installation disc or a repair disc? NO

Can you get to the Advanced Boot Menu using the F8 key at startup? YES

Do you have access to another PC with Windows 7 installed and a CD burner? NO

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, boot to the Advanced Boot Menu and select "Repair your Computer", input the language and keyboard, then select your user account and enter the password.

You will then see the "System Recovery Options" menu. Select System Restore and take it back before you did the registry edits.

I'm not sure what the "fatal error in BSD" is referring to, did you spell that correctly?

5. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Well, it seems I did not have system restore on, So I have no restore points. Silly...

Copied my data to a separate HDD.

I think my next option is to restore to factory specs (Also from F8)?

PS. What I meant was, the message in the blue screen contained the words "fatal error."

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

You mean a BSOD. Shame about system restore, but if you can find the minidump that would have been produced when you had a BSOD, usually in C:\Windows\minidump, I can analyse it for you if you wish, it may reveal what the problem is.

I take it you are installing from a Recovery partition so you won't be able to do a Repair install, guess it's back to Factory settings.

Don't forget to leave System Restore turned on, it's a life saver in situations like this one.

As a precaution, it is always advisable to create a Restore Point whenever you change something especially when you edit the Registry.

7. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Thank you for your time Mark, I would take you up on that offer but I cant even get into safe mode. I;m going to try restoring to factory settings. Thanks again.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, let us know if you have any further problems.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice