1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 - XP dual OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fredbare50, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fredbare50

fredbare50 Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have looked everywhere on this forum for advice on my particular problem, I have a new computer running Win7 64 bit, on a Sata drive as my main Os, I want to also install the hard drive (IDE) from my old computer that contains XP and all of my old programs that I want to use, there is a SATA to IDE card installed. Can I just install this drive as is or do I have to do something else, there is already an IDE drive installed that I use to store data,can I replace this drive for the one that has XP and use it as a Dual boot system,. Also how do I switch from one OS to the other.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4087 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 264019 MB; E: Total - 190771 MB, Free - 38340 MB; J: Total - 161018 MB, Free - 140473 MB; K: Total - 48461 MB, Free - 48360 MB; L: Total - 267457 MB, Free - 129535 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, H55M-LE, ,
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2011, Updated and Enabled

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP will not boot on a machine other than the one it was installed on (unless they have the same chipset and drive controllers). XP will need to be reinstalled and reactivated since the activation is not valid on a new machine.

If XP came with the old machine (Dell or Compaq, for example), it is illegal to try to run it on a different machine.

3. fredbare50

The drive came off a custom machine, I can reinstall XP as I have the disk with the activation numbers associated with it. Can I do this in any way that I don't loose any of the programs on the drive, such as moving them to an external drive then moving back after XP is reinstalled.I want to do this if possible as I don't have access to the original source of some of the programs.

4. fredbare50

When you say it is illegal to use Windows on a different machine does this mean I have to purchase a new versin , when I have the original disk that I purchased seperately to the computer?

5. Megabite

Megabite

If yo have a XP disc and CD key that you purchased separately then you can install a fresh copy using that.

As for the XP Hard drive with the XP from the other ....No ...and it won't work as stated unless the other PC has same Chipset etc.

Moving the programs and then putting them back on will not work I'm afraid...as there will be no Registry entries....the programs will need to be reinstalled.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you move your drive to the new machine and then start setup to perform a repair installation of XP, you may succeed at keeping your programs as they are and getting the proper drivers installed.

It would probably be best to do that with the 7 drive disconnected. Once XP was installed and working, you could then use EasyBCD to add XP to the boot options of 7 (or use a separate boot manager altogether, such as GAG).

So, you are not completely out of options yet. :D

(You don't need a new XP unless that key has already been used on another machine. Even if it has, if that installation no longer exists, you can activate XP by calling MS in the activation options and explaining that it is a new installation -- if it even goes that far. You may be able to activate automatically.)

7. fredbare50

If I try this option, do I have to do anything in Bios, or will it automatically boot from XP? Once XP is working do I then download GAG or Easybcd before reconnecting 7?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If 7 is disconnected, it will probably boot from the XP drive (but to install, you want to boot from the XP CD, anyway, and then choose the drive as the target during setup).

After XP is installed, reconnect 7 and see if it boots. At that point, you may have to enter BIOS setup and make the 7 drive the primary boot drive in the boot options if XP boots instead.

When you get into 7, you can run EasyBCD and add XP to 7's boot menu so that you will have a choice on boot.

Though GAG is an excellent boot manager, it is a harder thing to set up, and I'm not sure how much help I can be to you if you have trouble following the directions. It is an option, but not so easy as just adding XP to 7's menu.

(If XP is the only OS when you boot from the XP CD , then start setup as normal and after the license agreement, there should appear the option to repair the current installation.)

As always, be sure that everything you need is backed up before attempting something like this. You can make complete disk images, if you choose, so that your entire system is backed up and can be restored, or you can just back up essential files.

9. fredbare50

I will give this a try in the next couple of days and let you know how I go, many thanks.

10. fredbare50

Well I have done what you suggested, the XP welcome screen comes up for an instant then a blue screen with something on it flashes, then goes a to screen with bootup choices, (safe mode, last good operating mode etc) it doesn't matter which one I choose it will not go any further,just cycles back to the bootup choice. I went into bios to check the bootup settings, they are shown as being disabled, but do not allow me to change them, nothing happens when I insert the XP disk.Would it be safe to do all this with the Win 7 connected?

11. fredbare50

12. fredbare50

13. fredbare50

14. fredbare50

Has anybody got an answer, thanks.

15. fredbare50

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice