1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 7 & xp networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Boothbay, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Account Closed Thread Starter

I was able at least to share a file now and then and I did see my 'other' pc on the Win 7 netbook, but i could never actually ping either one of them. As i understand it, only home groups can see each other on a full time basis...maybe that is why i was able to share a limited amount of files now and then. I read somewhere that they both have to have the same domain name....ie home group. My desktop has work group and my netbook has home group. I tried to change the workgroup to homegroup, but couldn't. Lately i am trying to get my new win 7 netbook to see my xp desktop's Lexmark laser printer, and in doing so i lost my one connection to my desktop...now, and think i have to start from scratch again to get out of this quagmire...but don't even know how to start.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    HomeGroups do not work on OSes prior to Windows 7. For easier file and printer sharing set all computers to the same workgroup.

Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition

Short description for Windows 7 file sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Home' (or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

[EDIT (added Nov. 15): The following is for XP and Windows 2000 Professional.]

The following will set up a Microsoft Workgroup for File and Printer Sharing assuming the PCs are already networked via router, ad-hoc wireless or Ethernet (directly or using switch or hub).

In Network and Dial-up Connections (Win 2k Pro) or Network Connections (XP) right click on your connection and select ‘Properties.’ If not already there, install or add a check mark for “Client for Microsoft Networks, “File and Printer sharing …” and “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).”

Right click on My Computer, select Properties, and on the Computer Name tab make sure you have a unique computer name and the workgroup name that you want to use for all computers. Change if necessary.

Restart the PC.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-Windows firewalls (security suites) on each machine.

If using the XP SP3 firewall: Control Panel – Windows Firewall – on the General tab it should be “On” and on the Exceptions tab “File and Printer Sharing” should be selected. (When using this PC on a public network set it to “No Exceptions.”)

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

3. Boothbay

Well, I did all as suggested and when it came to add a printer, i get a message that No driver found. I thought by networking one pc to another and to get one to use the others printer, that the xp driver for the printer would work?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not sure what you are asking here. Certainly for an XP system you need the XP version of the printer driver. And, of course, for your Windows 7 machine you need the Windows 7 driver (sometimes you can get the Vista one to work if there is none for Windows 7).

5. Boothbay

OK, so when i do the windows update, won't it include the drivers for Vista? Anyway, maybe this might be the cause i cannot ping either pc. I do see my desktop on my win 7 network sharing section , but i do not see my win 7 icon on my XP network connections. I think and maybe wrong but each pc does not have the same workgroup name. I have it on my XP, but not on the Win 7. How can i change the home group to workgroup on my it? I've tried network sharing and clicked on the button for change, but it does not give me the option to change the group area.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To set the Workgroup right click on Computer and select Properties.

7. Boothbay

Well that didn't help either.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Didn't help change the Workgroup name? Or didn't help get the Windows 7 driver for the printer? When you shared the printer on the XP did you "accept the offer to load other drivers" and did it load the Windows 7 one?

9. Boothbay

No, changing both to workgroup did nothing. There is no win 7 driver for my older lexmark laser printer, and Lexmark does not have a win 7 driver for my printer. I wrote to them and they sent me an email that they would look into it, and haven't heard from them since. I did accept the offer to load other drivers and nothing came of that either. I have a perfect laser printer for XP, but not able to share it with Win 7.

10. Boothbay

HI Terry, just got to do your suggestion about using cable instead of wireless. I saw the example that the wizard shows and so i went according to it. It shows the cables going to a hub ( modem ) and to the router ( which confused me in a way ) and 2 seperate cables going to each pc. I did the wizard on the XP machine with no problems...but win 7 had a couple of glitches that you did not mention in your informative post above. Any how i went through the motions the bes I could according to your post and when i got to the save button it was greyed out....so i went to no password and said yes, and immediately the save box lit up...so i saved it. //restarted both pc's and now i find that i am still in the same situation as before, but added what the Win 7 pc shows in networking and sharing..."unidentified network'' no internet access. Just curious, what version of Win 7 do u have? Each version seems to have different wordings at some functions...so i couldn't do exactly and found what you said in the Win 7 version. Hope i did not confuse you. LOL BTW, was i suppose to disable the routers wireless connection and if I do, how does one go about it, when that illustration i mentioned earlier said to make that connection to it via cable to the other pc?

11. Boothbay

On a clearer day ( this morning ) i went into my router and found out how to disable the wireless connection and then opened Win 7, made it fix any problems it may find, and all is working well, with the wire connections...in fact, for the first time i am even able to ping both pc's....but there is a downside to all this...there are times i would like to use the wireless connection, so i could move around the house with my net book...which means i have to disconnect the ethernet cables and go into the router configuration to enable it...also not know what it would do to my wired setup.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't think I made that suggestion? But, if your file and/or printer sharing works with the Netbook connected by ethernet but not by wireless it may mean that your router has the "wireless isolation" feature--to protect wired computers from the wireless ones. If so, that can probably be turned off.

Maybe it was a glitch in my post. I just now added a line to post # 2 to make it clear where Windows 7 advice ends and Windows XP begins. Were you trying to do the XP stuff on the Windows 7? If it's really a problem in the small Windows 7 section please give me what. I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on two machines, but can also check Windows 7 Ultimate if needed.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice