Win 8.1 loses & gains free space on C:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hobsknob46

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit, Build 9600, Installed 20140220005620.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 125 GB (13 GB Free); E: 98 GB (97 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (1011 GB Free); G: 1863 GB (64 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-PLUS, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 130512143005553
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have set up this custom built (in 2014) PC with an SD drive for C: program files and F: (HDD) for data files. Have not had any problems with running low on space on C: until about 30 months ago at which time I had to start installing new programs on F: in order to not run so low on C: that I couldn't run routine maintenance utilities. I've been trying to sleuth out what causes the free space on C: to vary anywhere from .05 GB to 2.0 GB on a daily basis. Used the program "Folder Size" for a while to try to determine where the fluctuations were incurring and found that Adobe Premiere Elements was creating empty files at startup every day so took steps to eliminate that. Thought I had the problem solved but a couple of weeks later discovered it was still happening but not due to the Adobe program. So I've been looking for other possible causes ever since. Read something about temporary files (eg. internet files and others created by programs when running) being deleted after a certain length of time by Windows - which would explain the free space fluctuations - but in pursuing specific information as to exactly which files and on what frequency they're deleted, I have not found any confirmation that this actually happens. Microsoft says their software doesn't do this sort of cleanup - I have to manually do that. Whenever I open their disk clean program it shows less than 500 mb worth of files to delete anyway so that wouldn't account for the fluctuations even if I ran it daily (which I don't). MS couldn't come up with a reason for my files to increase and decrease from the OS point of view so they concluded it's due to some program I'm running. But all the programs I run on a daily basis that create a lot of data are totally on F: drive. Since January this year I've been manually tracking the daily changes on C: in a spreadsheet trying to see if there's a pattern to the variations. So far I've determined that C: loses anywhere from 0 to .1 to .2 to .3 to .4 to .5 GB daily for about 6 days and then I see a gain of .7 to 1.1 to 1.6 to 2.0 and even to 2.15 GB all at once. But sometimes the time between gains is up to 9 or 12 days. The pattern is: a few files are created every day for several days and then a bunch of them are deleted all at once. The recycle bin has nothing in it other than what I put in it. I do know that after MS does their monthly installation of several updates in a bunch (around the 12th to 16th of each month) there is a fairly large drop in free space that day. But that's the only thing I can see affecting the free space so far. I've been on other forums but no one has suggested a plausible explanation. Hope someone here might!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online