1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 8 32 bit to win 8 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by weenumpty, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weenumpty

weenumpty Thread Starter

I have upgraded my DELL Inspiron 1525 to win 8 32 bit using an upgrade CD with no problems.
    I now wish to upgrade further to win 8 64 bit using the 64 bit upgrade CD.

When I inserted the 64 bit upgrade CD it said 'your current version of windows is 32 bit and does not match the architecture of the 64 bit installation media.'

I am told that my laptop will support 64 bit so why doesn't it allow me to upgrade????

Please can you help?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how much memory do you have on the PC - it may not be worth the upgrade

3. weenumpty

weenumpty Thread Starter

I upgraded to 4G 12 months ago.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    please do not use the report button to reply to a post here , as mentioned at the top of the report form
    In my opinion
    if you only have 4GB its not really worth the upgrade to gain approx 700Mb of RAM

have a read here - it would appear you can not use an upgrade to 64bit without a retail version, from a 32bit original software installation
    http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-upgrade-32bit-64bit-144649

But i'm no expert in the license issues around MS upgrade

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe (probably?) because you are trying to do an "upgrade" type of install. You need to boot to the Windows 8 64-bit DVD (doesn't fit on a CD) and do a "Custom" install.

6. weenumpty

weenumpty Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet

If I'd followed the instructions I got off the WEB that's exactly what it said to do, what a wee numpty!!!!

BUT!!!!!! I set the BIOS to boot from DVD , which it eventually did giving me the message
    ' to boot from DVD press any key '

It whirred and clicked for a bit then booted straight into the existing 32 system, completely
    ignoring the instruction to boot from the DVD.

Am I doing something wrong here???????

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. It sounds like there is a problem with the DVD or with the DVD drive (or they just don't "like" each other). See if the DVD will boot on another computer (don't do anything if it does, just see what happens). And if you have another bootable DVD see if it will boot with that drive.

8. weenumpty

weenumpty Thread Starter

I eventually got it to run.

Although the BIOS was set to boot first from DVD it didn't work until I pressed F12
    at power on and selected DVD boot from there. It was a different screen with other options
    as well as entering the BIOS screen.

As yet I haven't seen any advantage in upgrading to 64 bit. Maybe time will tell.

Thanks for your support!!!!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As Wayne said ...

But if you add memory later you will be glad that you already have 64-bit. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice