1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 8 and essentials

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by chartwise, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

Could someone please tell me if Windows 8 comes complete with Windows Essentials?

The thing is I currently use Movie Maker to make videos to upload to YouTube.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows Essentials is not included in any Windows version. It was previously known as Windows Live Essentials and is available for free download.

3. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet - I believe there are different versions, which version do I get?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    An older version may be more to your liking, but then you have the problem of making sure it doesn't decide to "update" to a newer version and the increased possibility that there may be a Windows 8 incompatibility.

I would start with the current (2012) version and try to use that. If it's unsatisfactory for your use then try the 2011 and then 2009 versions. Not positive, but I think that Movie Maker works OK in all versions, but probably has the ribbon interface now.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    In case you need it ... W8 does not have the DVD Maker that goes with the Windows DVD maker.
    I can't use the newer DVD maker 2012 in W7 .. I have to backup to a previous version.
    I think this has something to do with my video card.
    Are you planning on updating the XP in your profile ???

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice