1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 8 compatability check

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Lanfutz, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

After running the win 8 compatability program it came up with- secure boot needs UEFIv 2.3.1 errata b.
    Remove only if it starts with 2 not1.

What the hell does that mean??

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    UEFI or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface is the replacement for BIOS (Basic I/O System) which is the firmware on your motherboard to boot your system. Looks like your PC needs a firmware update for System 8 to work with secure boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI

3. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Thanks for that Peter. The computer is an Asus running Win7. My son and I decided to look at upgrading to Win 8.

He got hold of a disk and uploaded to Win 8. The activation code did not work. I decided to return it to Win 7 and start again.

The compatlbility program said that that the secure boot problem would occur.
    How do I go from here? I want to upgrade to Win 8. Is the original Asus bios stopping the upgrade or the Win 7 just reloaded.

Be grateful for any help.

Ian

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Asus has many models, which particular model do you have?

5. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

It's an Asus laptop. Model No.X52F. MB Ver. K52F.

Thanks for your help.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That particular model isn't officially supported by Asus for Windows 8.

They do have Windows 7 drivers that would probably work once/if you get Windows 8 installed though.

What you can try doing is updating the BIOS under Windows 7 to the latest version and see if that helps: http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax

7. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Thanks for your effort. Tried that. Could not find the bios No. as pics on asus site looked nothing like my M/board.
    Nevertheless I downloaded win 8 and it installed Ok. Just need to update some of the drivers now.The secure boot is apparently a M/S device for limiting dual booting mainly Linux.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's actually a security feature that can be turned off in the BIOS.

The link I gave you was to the downloads, simply enter the laptop model, which is X52F and not mainboard model, into it to get the drivers and BIOS for your laptop.

9. Lanfutz

Lanfutz Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I will give it another go. Problem is that the Asus page turns up 3/4 bios updates. I suppose I could just download the latest dated one.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most manufacturer's list previous versions as well, but you only need to flash the latest version to get all the previous updates.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice