1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 8 problems with disk partitions

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cinizz, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cinizz

cinizz Thread Starter

Hello!
    I have had this problem for a while, which I have not been able to resolve with just googling around...

I have a 1TB HDD installed, with two partitions D:// with 200GB of space for Win7 system requirements and the rest was C:// where i store all my files. When Win8 came out, I installed it on the free space (C://) just to see how it works. So basically i had a dual boot system on two partitions of the same HDD.
    One time the boot file for Win7 on the D:// partition crashed, so from that point onward, I was not able to boot to the Win7 OS.

However that would not be the problem. The thing is, that now I want to get rid of the D:// partition, and merge it with the C:// partition. This is where the problem occurs - it seems that partition D:// is still set as "System, Active, Primary partition", so I cannot format it. However, C:// is set as "Boot, Page file, Crash dump, Primary partition". As far as I understand, the system boots through D://, but as it has no system config. file, it forwards on to C:// and loads the system.

How can I fix this without performing a complete system fresh install?

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't understand why you want to format the 200 GB partition if you want to delete it. But, to do either you'll need to make the other partition active. You'll then also probably have to repair the boot in order to boot to that other partition. You may be able to accomplish the entire job with the free EasyBCD.

3. cinizz

cinizz Thread Starter

Thank you, I'll look into your advice in a while, when I have a bit more time...

To answer Your question, I guess I kind of thought that if I format the partition, i'll be able to merge it? But while reading your reply, it came to me, that this is not always necessary.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To add the 200 GB space to the larger partition you will need to delete the 200 GB partition and then resize the remaining partition to add the unallocated space. Make sure you have backups of anything important in case any of the partitioning work goes badly.

To do that kind of partitioning work I have used EASEUS Partition Master and GParted.

You already have a huge partition. Are you sure you want to add another 200 GB to it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice