1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 8 to win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xpuser35776, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xpuser35776

xpuser35776 Thread Starter

Hello folks been awhile:) I have a hp laptop that had win 8 on it. I purchased a new 500 gig harddrive and windows7 64 bit dvd. Had problems where it would come up with selected boot image did not Authenticate:(. Discovered with Google to turn off secure boot and windows loaded all files and splash screen of windows 7 came up starting windows and froze. Each time I restart It say`s tap any key, you can see it loading on a bar at bottom of screen then it goes to flying colors and goes slower to connect to windows and freezes. you still hear dvdrom spinning and accessing. then it slows down and stops.
    New Harddrive Is it Failing? HP TPN-l108 Product # C2N25UA#ABA 2000-2b09WM I am not using laptop so your link to download would get my xp machine specs that are not in question:)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. xpuser35776

Sir I am not using The laptop in question. I am using my desk top. I did Edit and it is in there.
    I will give it to you (HP) TPN-l108 Product # C2N25UA#ABA Also 2000-2B09WM:)

4. Macboatmaster

The reason the reply has taken so long is because you edited rather than posting I did not receive the notification of your post
    It was only when I checked the topic - I saw your edit.
    Sorry for my error in asking for the spec when the computer cannot provide it - however vital information is ALWAYS the make and model if it is a branded computer OR the board processor and graphics etc if generic

HP computers with windows 8 and the UEFI instead of the conventiional BIOS - User extensible Firmware
    (not only HP of course) are difficult to downgrade the O/S even on the original HDD, as the settings in the UEFI are configured for windows 8 and only in certain circumstances on business computers is the downgrade or indeed the installation of another dual boot O/S - such as LInux easily possible

So much so that HP actually warn against it. I understand that warning is included in the docmentation.
    Not only is it necessary to disbale secure boot, but it is also important to set legacy and the O/S HDD as against the UEFI HDD.
    This is vital with a new replacement HDD
    The settings still see the requirements of the original HDD with windows 8.

I think it would have been better to attempt a clean install of windows u7 on the original drive unless of course it has died and then clone that image to the new drive.
    However that is only my off the cuff idea as I have to admit I have not done it on any computer with UEFI

What confuses me is tap any key - does it say tap any key to boot from optical drive - you say you can hear DVD spinning
    Have you tried removing DVD, then rebooting and see what happens.
    Then I would insert DVD but this time if it is a Microsoft Windows 7 I would boot to repair your computer and startup repair.

The other point that crosses my mind is - Is it a HP windows 7, or windows 7 from another branded computer - reinstallation disc or what - I do appreciate you say you purchased it and I am not doubting that, but depending on WHAT it is and from where, you may indeed never sucessfully install it on that HP.

Sorry again for the delay

5. Macboatmaster

I have posted again rather than adding it to my last, so that you cannot miss it
    TPN ? (cannot make that out) 108

Is that not the battery spec what is the model and edition

HP Pavilion DV4-5000 Series
    HP Pavilion DV4-5099
    HP Pavilion DV6-7000 Series
    HP Pavilion DV6-7002TX,
    Pavilion DV6-7099
    HP Pavilion DV6-8000 Series
    HP Pavilion DV6-8099,
    HP Pavilion DV7-7000 Series
    HP Pavilion DV7-7099

HOWEVER continuing with the problem you may find this useful
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html

6. xpuser35776

The Disk is a brand new disk coa sticker is with it. OEM WIN7 64 BIT
    It is optical drive asking me to tap any key to start windows install.
    Bios has windows 8 imbeded in, no changing
    I have a 500gig 6/s and also thinking it was harddrive
    Bought another one. Total cost for nothing because it will not work $265.78(n)
    Thank you very much for your help(y):)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have Windows 7 drivers been developed for your computer? If so, I wonder if any of them have to be supplied at Windows install time (something like SATA drivers for XP prior to SP3)?

8. Macboatmaster

In addition to what my colleague TerryNet has posted, the point I was making is that if it has UEFI, rather than what for ease, I refer to as standard BIOS, then

you may have the situation you seem to confim
    I have to say that I am NOT familiar with the settings for UEFI from personal experience, but for the purposes of working on here I have read up on it.

What puzzles me a little is - I originally thought- although you did not say so, that you had simply decided you did not like Windows 8 and were therefore going to replace it with windows 7 and also increase by way of a new drive the HDD capacity

Is that correct and this
    means that you tried to install on the NEW 500GB it would NOT so you bought another NEW 500GB drive.

Please explain to us if Windows 8 on what I think was the 320Gb drive in the HP was running OK or WAS their a problem

In the settings where you disabled secure boot do you have a setting CSM - compatability support module
    that has UEFI simulate BIOS try it there.

It will NOT install in UEFI - as far as I know from my reading because
    The chip on the board that controls the UEFI has the data written to it that requires it to see - firstly an HP install DVD and secondly I think in your case Windows 8
    I am NOT entirely piostive of this, but that is what I read.

I also have a doubt if that HP will accept the purchased OEM Windows 7 64 bit and EVEN if it did, I am unsure if Microsoft would activate it
    OEM licensed software is as far as I know for system builders and although there has been some discussion as to what exactly the terms of the lience are from Microsoft in respect of the individual installing OEM on a computer he builds, I feel reasonably certain in saying, that Micorosoft may well NOT activate on an HP computer

9. Macboatmaster

xpuser35776

re my last, it was NOT within my knowledge until a few moments ago, but it appears that THE ANSWER may be provided HERE
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

and indeed if that is correct, please cancel what I posted above about CSM

I still think you may have a difficulty as you said
    Bios has windows 8 imbeded in, no changing

but it certainly must be worth trying AND you will know that I did originally mention on my last post about the partition on the drive
    The link on this post seems to support that

PLEASE DO LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES, it will be extremely valuable to many people

10. xpuser35776

I built my xp machine purchased all the parts and put it together years ago knock on wood it is still going. I will probably get parts to install into a case I have up in attic I will have to be specific for 64 bit hardware. There are attachments I can add both laptop harddrives to load operating software:)

11. xpuser35776

12. Macboatmaster

Well, I am not quite sure which path you have decided to take.
    However good luck with it and as you say the two 500GB can be added to the new build with caddies to adapt the 2.5 to the tower

13. Macboatmaster

xpuser35776

It is some 8 days now since we heard from you.
    I wondered if you made any progress

14. xpuser35776

I ordered Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM With dual core processor socket 1155, 4gb DDR3 ram, I am still waiting for Ultra LSP750=watt power supply,4gb DDR3 ram. I needed to upgrade anyway`s just needed a opportunity and here it is:) I will post after I disassemble what I have now and rebuild with SATA I am using IDE right now. I wonder how fast it will be? what I have now D845WN intel mother board, pentium 4 2.0, 1 gig ram

15. Macboatmaster

Thanks for replying good luck with it
    What processor are you putting in

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice