1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 8 Update Causing Windows Boot Manager Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by EbonyD, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EbonyD

EbonyD Thread Starter

Windows did an update and then went to restart and came up with the following:

"Windows Boot Manager has been blocked by the current security policy"

"No Bootable Device, Hit Any Key"

"Boot Option Menu,
    1. Windows Boot Manager (ST9500325AS)"

Press enter and end up in a cycle of that. Can't get safe mode to work.

The day before I installed AVG but it had restarted and was working.

Packard Bell Notebook Q5WTC

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

HI Welcome to Tech Support Guy

If you cannot get past that entry you may have a real problem

Is that the full message

Here is how to access recovery and repair options - if you can past that message
    Windows Boot Manager is the correct option.
    Windows 8 does not boot from the HDD listed as the option but from the file Windows boot manager.
    UEFI - the new replacement for BIOS then hands control to the Windows Boot Manager and that then searches for the boot device

HAVE you at any time disabled secure boot that would cause the problem

Please see
    Getting to the boot options menu (automatically) when there is a problem
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...or-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx

and my screenshot - although yours may not look like this of course but it will give you the gneral idea

Attached Files:

3. Macboatmaster

I have posted separately so that you cannot miss it.

The slight problem we have, as I am sure you have realised is that this is so new, that none of us have really had time to build any real degree of knowledge in respect of the particular OEM computers and the actual presentation of the UEFI User interface screens

Here is an example- it is not yours it is Asus but it will give you the idea of what I said in my last

Windows UEFI boot sequence detail

Assuming you have installed Windows 7 X64 on a GPT disk, the following boot sequence happens:
    • The UEFI firmware of the Asus motherboard will first initialize the hardware
    • The UEFI boot manager will now load the boot application as pointed by the Boot Option Priorities. In case of Windows on GPT disk this should be the Window Boot Manager entry.
    • The Windows boot manager presents the user with a screen where he/she can select the instance to use and loads the Windows OS loader selected. Note that if there is only one instance of Windows the Windows Boot Manager calls directly the Windows OS Loader without user interaction.
    • The Windows OS loader loads Windows and gives control to the Kernel
    and it will without doubt be the same principle on your computer provided it was pre installed windows 8.
    as UEFI does not use MBR partitioning but GPT

Additionally to that unless it is an amazing coicnidence you have also asked for advice on the same problem elsewhere
    I am not suggesting for one moment of time, that there is anything wrong in that, but I would echo the advice issued in that other place as well as what I have said

You need to see if you have options for repair your computer on the advanced boot options where you accessed safe mode and then on those options select cmd prompt
    you will be in a ram drive with a prompt X:\Sources>
    you then need to try a chkdsk on the drive that has windows installed
    if at the X prompt you type
    C:
    and key enter
    then
    dir
    and key enter

If windows is not there try
    D:
    when you find windows type
    go back to that prompt for that drive and type
    chkdsk /f

See this
    http://www.winhelp.us/index.php/win...indows/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html

That all said if it is only a few weeks old, refer it to the supplier

4. EbonyD

EbonyD Thread Starter

Hi thanks for getting back to me. This is a new laptop, purchased with windows 8 already installed so I don't have any previous versions or the disks for 8.

I haven't changed any settings to stop secure boot. And yes I have tried asking for assistance on this on another forum but seems fruitless at the moment. If it weren't such a new OS then I doubt I would be having such a problem.

5. Macboatmaster

On a computer which has the UEFI (BIOS) system the time allowed to enter advanced boot options is minimal
    In fact on a computer with an SSD Solid State drive it is milliseconds
    While I look at the specs for yours if I can find them
    Immediately it boots hold down shift key and key F8
    Try it and see if you can get to advanced boot options

One of the most common steps when troubleshooting a PC is to boot into safe mode. For a long time this has been achieved by pressing the F8 key, this all changes with Windows 8 and its Automatic Repair mode. But what if we want Safe Mode?
    You can still have Safe Mode, however, it is buried deep into the recovery options of Windows 8. While just tapping the F8 key as we all know will boot you into automatic recovery mode, you can still manually access the recovery options by pressing the Shift+F8 key combination.
    Booting Into Safe Mode on Windows 8

The trick is to hold the Shift button and key F8 this will sometimes boot you into the new advanced “recovery mode”, where you can choose to see advanced repair options.

I take it you did NOT create the repair disc on receipt of the computer

6. Macboatmaster

That Q5WTC is no good to me which one please of the Easy Note
    Packard Bell. Q5WTC. ENTE11HC. A ... Q5WTC. NE56R. B. 53. 23.07. Y. 56%. Packard Bell. Q5WTC. ENTE11HC. B. 53 ...
    I cannot get a hit on Q5WTC

Referring back to my previous post please see this

In fact, even the widely publicized SHIFT+F8 option, which supposedly works to force Advanced Startup Options to appear (and ultimately Startup Settings and Safe Mode), only works on very slow computers. The amount of time that Windows 8 looks for SHIFT+F8 is so small on most Windows 8 devices and PCs that it borders on impossible to get it to work.

Therefore when you send me the model, OR read the documentation that came with the computer - you should be able to access the recovery partition created on the hard drive by Packard Bell when they loaded the system
    However depending on what you have installed since and what options are offered on the recovery all will be lost and it will be as sold

The real answer is and I know it does not help you NOW is that you should immediately have created that repair disc
    http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-create-recovery-media-144098

MY ADVICE - is consider carefully your position before attempting recovery from the partition
    Personally I would not hesitate to return to supplier OR email support at Packard Bell

I may be able to advice you further when you send me the model details I require.

7. EbonyD

EbonyD Thread Starter

Easy Note TE11HC B8304G50Mnks

I tried to make a recovery disk but it wouldn't let me do it on dvd / cd wanted a 16gb usb drive which I didn't have to hand, of which I am now kicking myself for. I have tried many times with all of the F8 button tricks to try to get in to safe mode with no such luck.

When I have changed from UEFI to Legacy BIOS mode it comes up with:
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM

I have contacted PB and awaiting their reply.

8. Macboatmaster

Not for now, but for if and when you get this working, a more clearer link I think for repair disc on 8 on a CD/DVD
    The difference is that the repair disc can not be used to install 8, it is only the repair eg the startup repair, the system restore, the windows memory diagnostic and the cmd prompt
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

For now - IF YOU can change back to UEFI, then you will see a tab BOOT - more than likely I cannot find the actual layout of the screen on the UEFI on that computer and the Packard Bell site is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard

In the setup go back to UEFI
    YOU WILL BE UNLIKELY TO GET A BOOT FROM PRE_INSTALLED WINDOWS 8 on legacy mode
    ensure if you have changed anything else that you change it back again
    If you have disabled secure boot, that will also change ther settings
    renable secure boot
    On the boot priority order
    if you have Windows Boot Manager
    that is what Windows 8 will boot from NOT from the hard drive

You may indeed also have your hard drive listed a Seagate that is the ST in your post
    your dvd drive will probably be listed twice one of which will have UEFI prefixing it

The difficulty I am having as I hope you will appreciate is that this is all so relatively new that I have not had the opportunity to learn the presentation of the UEFI screens on any particular UEFI

Without getting too technical this should explain to you why it is windows boot manager that is the boot entry and not the hard drive as it was in BIOS

9. Macboatmaster

EbonyD

Wondered how you went on

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice