1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 8 with linux cinnamin dual-boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kejoca, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kejoca

kejoca Thread Starter

I am on a linux computer now, but have just purchased a new HP Envy desktop with windows I installed, I want to load linux mint cinnamon version as a dual boot. I have heard that this is difficult. I tried on the HP Pavilion desktop with Win 7 and could not see a boot screen, only win 7. I now have the HP Envy as stated. I am not sure if I shoud try this or just leave well enough alone. Any comments would be helpful, thanks Kevin

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Your last sentence must be your decision. There are conflicting results from the procedure.
    I would suggest that your first action is to make a total backup of your exisiting system, say, with Macrium. Then, if all goes wrong, you can put the image back.

I am not a Linux fan, but, fwiw, I heard so many reports regarding Linux Mint/cinnamon, that I was tempted.
    I downloaded the live CD and ran it up. In the options, It asks if you wish to install the program. If I remwmbwr correctly, it then offers alternatives, one of which is a dual boot with Windows 8.
    I though, "What the heck" and went for it. After the install process was complete, with no input required from me, I was presented with a dual boot manager showing both Linux and Windows 8. Both worked 100%.

3. kejoca

kejoca Thread Starter

Thanks for the imput. All worked well with win 8? I guess I'll try, after I figure out how to make proper backup.

4. davehc

First Name:
    David
    I would suggest an image, rather than the built in backup. Macrium is free and works well. Just remember to put the image somewhere where it is accessible if things go awry.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would be careful
    I know my colleague davehc experienced no problems.

I am sure he will not mind me suggesting that the no problem situation would likely be the result on a non UEFI firmware system

If that is the case in regard of my colleagues installation of 8 then dual booting it with Linux would in effect be like dual booting 7 with Linux - there is no problem

However dual booting a pre installed 8 or 8.1 on a UEFI system which is what your HP Envy desktop must be is not that simple. Indeed you may find you do have problems

You will certainly have to disable secure boot.

The choice must I agree be yours, but my own personal decision would be NOT to proceed unless you are desperate to have the Linux dual boot

You may find these of assistance if you do decide to proceed
    http://www.zdnet.com/seven-ways-to-set-up-multi-booting-with-windows-8-and-linux-7000026392/

If it was me and I was proceeding with the installation as a dual boot and your computer being a desktop I would install Linux on a separate drive - eg a separate hard drive not a partition of the drive that Windows is installed on

Finally you do not say which model of HP Envy and there are many, but some have hybrid hard drives - a small SSD and a traditional mechanical hard drive in one. The SSD acts as a cache drive to speed performance

6. davehc

First Name:
    David
    fwiw. I have had a PM query, regarding the UEFI.
    I should say that the computer I referred to in Post #2 was, in fact, a (slightly)older Dell Vostro. The UEFI and secure boot had long since been disabled by myself, and the HD formatted as MBR.ot, so that was not an issue.
    It may be irrelevant, in this context, but when the laptop was new, it came with a few additions from Dell and Intel. Such hidden folders as factory restore and Intel HD backup. All these, on purchase, I imaged in their entirety with Acronis The good news, I guess, is that I have, on more than one occasion, returned the image, UEFI and secure boot, without problems.
    Perhaps the user must have some knowledge of what he is doing, perhaps I have been lucky(??)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice