1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 95 Clean & Reinstall

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by PMD, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PMD

PMD Thread Starter

I have an old HP Pavilion 7050 (100 Mhz) running Win 95. Been having some problems lately & decided to wipe everything clean & start new. I have had a new hard drive installed (6 gig), new sound card & extra RAM put in since I've owned it. I understand or am under the impression that Win 95 is NOT set up for more than 2 gigs (per the tech. that installed the larger hard drive), so he partitioned it into C,D,E & F. Can someone tell me how to clean & reinstall my O/S from start to finish?

2. Kwaite

Kwaite

If I remember Windows 95 has a few different versions. Depending on your version you will not be able to see over 2 gigs. But here goes:

Ver 95, 95a is unable to see above 2.0 gig.

Ver 95b and above are If you use fdisk to partition the drive and choose Large dos Partition will see 2.0 gig.

You will have to determine which version of 95 you are running. The easiest way to see this is if your 95 logo screen has the words Internet Explorer on it, or if you have a original CD if the words Internet Explorer is on it you can safely assume that you will be able to see large partitions when you run fdisk.

Another way to tell the version quickly is by the system properties. Right click on the My Computer logo go to properties. If the number says 4.00.950 you are running original 95.

4.00.950 a original 95 + service pack 1

Will see 2 gig partitions.

4.00.950 b 95 B upgrade which was not on the market long.
    4.00.1111 Full 95 B version this was a clean install
    4.00.1212 and above full 95 B and above.

Here's another point 100 mhz bios are on the start of the Bios expanding above 2. gig. Some Bios say that the will see over 2. gig but cannot without special software. H.P. systems I do belive needs special software.

To redo you system :

1) Backup everything first. Make notations of partition information in Fdisk after a full backup.

2) Make a Boot floppy with CD drivers on it.

at c: type format a:\ /s (for Boot disk)
    You will need the drivers on you cd disk if any.
    copy fdisk.exe and format.exe to Boot disk.

3)delete all partitions in fdisk in your 95 cd is B or above.
    restart your machine with boot disk in.

4) at (a) prompt type fdisk and when asked for large Partition info choose Yes. choose 1 create disk partition then 1 primary then max size of disk.

5) fdisk will tell you to restart you machine.

at (a) prompt type format c: /s

Do not waste your time if you have a windows 95 a version or before. Or your system Bios shows you that it cannot recognize the drive size correctly.

3. markshark09

markshark09

Wow that is extremely detailed.
    Great answer
    People like you make this website work thanx

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi PMD, I'll just add this:

If you boot with the disk that should come with your new hard drive, it will take a look at your setup and determine if you need the overlay program installed.......Have a windows 95 bootable disk handy for the 95 version that you'll be installing, as you'll be prompted to insert that floppy so that it can be determined how best to set the hard drive up.

5. PMD

PMD Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help, but I have original Win 95 & from what I grasp, partioning a hard drive is not something to be done by a 'layman'. Maybe I'll just have to lay out some dinero & have it done. Again thanks to all anyway!

6. slipe

slipe

If you are having problems you will probably be able to clear them up by just formatting your C drive and doing a fresh Windows install. You will then have to load your drivers and programs that were installed to the C drive. Move any data to another partition before you do it. I see no reason at all to format the whole hard drive.

It isn’t that big a deal. If you change your mind and decide to do it get back and someone can walk you through it.

7. PMD

PMD Thread Starter

Never thought that my original installation disk would work that way (thought Win 95' would see size of hard drive & draw a blank!). I may be "inheriting" my daughters computer soon (at college & wants a laptop), but I want to still use this one, so maybe after I get hers I'll try this. Don't be surprised if I write back & have you 'walk' me thru this, sometime w/in the next month. Again, thanks for the support!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice