1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 95 error starting program

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by em104, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. em104

em104 Thread Starter

i use windows 95. i have no problems starting the computer but as soon as starts it does show two error messages .these are:
    ws2_32.dll file not found
    c:\windows\system\mfc40.dll file not found.
    i would like to know how i can either find these files or restore them on to the computer if they are not there.

2. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Em104,
    ooooops,

see my next post

3. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Very well thought post Starwaves!

4. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Em104,

Fix the mfc40.dll first. The file is in your windows cabinets.
    Here's two ways to extract it:

a) Click start / find / files and folders
    type in "win95_03.cab" in quotations, when you find it, double click it to open, now search for mfc40.dll , when you find it, RIGHT click on it, use the right button on your mouse, then click EXTRACT.

In the (winzip window) for EXTRACT TO: type in c:\windows\system, and click ok, reboot and the error should be gone,

b) another way to do this is in DOS:
    Click start / shudown / restart in ms dos mode

The command prompt will be at c:\windows

type the following command and hit enter;

extract| c:\windows\options\cabs\win95_03.cab|mfc40.dl|/l |c:\windows\system

Where you see a blue vertical stipe, you merely skip a space, do not type it,

Just for Reference:
    Use this command 'to search the cabs' for the dll file when it's exact location is not known,

extract|/a|c:\windows\options\cabs\win98_02.cab|mfc40.dll|/l|c:\windows\system

-------------

For the Ws2_32.dll there are a few more questions;

What is the exact error message for it and are you getting it in response to opening a program? How long have you been getting it & have you installed a new program recently?

Also, can you connect to the internet and surf normally?

This dll file is part of the Winsock2 upgrade for windows, you can't just replace or add the file without making sure it's part of the entire upgrade for DUN, and there is an ordered sequence for those upgrades,

Also, do a search for it:
    Click on start / find / files and folders
    type in "Ws2_32.dll" with quotations ...... does it find it? if so where?

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!