1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 95 installation

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kevinps62, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

Help. I am pretty clueless. I have a computer that had Windows 98 on it but it was removed before I bought it. I need to install an operating system. I have a CD rom disk for Windows 95 that I am trying to install but do not know how to proceed. I don't even know how to get the computer to read the CD rom to start the process. From reading other posts I'm not even sure I have the necessary disk(s) to do the install. Can someone help or point me in the right direction? Thank you. Kevin

2. n2gun

n2gun

You can install win 95. If you have the startup disk for your windows 98, you can start the computer using that in the floppy drive. When it comes up with the start options, start it with cd rom which should be your number 1 option. Place the windows 95 disk in cd rom drive. Now if your cd drive was d: the start disk will move it up one to e:, etc. Go to the cd drive and type and hit enter and follow the instructions. You should be all set. Good Luck and Happy Holidays.
    By the way a windows 95 startup disk does not have the cd drive files on it so it would not help.

3. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

I am still clueless. I start the computer with the Win95 cd in the drive, or not in the drive, and I get a blank screen that says this:
    "C:\>" What do I do now???? I have only one cd and it is for Windows 95. Windows 98 was on this computer before but it was removed. Can someone help? Thanks.

4. n2gun

n2gun

You can go to this site

www.bootdisk.com

and download a bootdisk for windows 98. Make sure your computer is looking to the floppy drive first on boot up so that it will boot from it. You will need to change it in the bios setup if it is not already looking there first. Then boot with the bood disk and you should come up with a:\> then go to the cd drive and type setup and hit enter

5. deanas

deanas

Just to add a few words on Jerry's excellant
    advice.
    When the floppy asks, you need cdrom ( 1 )
    To change to cd rom type:
    x:
    and press enter. X is whatever drive letter is
    assigned for the cdrom. If there is only one
    harddrive with only one partition it should be
    e.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice