Win 95 - Reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

willow13

I am running a 486DX computer with Win95. Recently, I had the battery replaced and the tech told me that when Win95 was installed there were errors which caused the machine to slow down along with other problems and my best bet was to reinstall windows95. This is my question... Do I have to uninstall first (if yes, need step by step how to) or can I just put in my CD and run install and have files overwrite current files.

Currently, computer will not do anything but start in safe mode. any suggestions will be welcome.:D

Hi,

Try this. When the system boots up, hold the ctrl button, and choose Command Prompt Only from the menu. When you reach the c:\> prompt, type in cd windows, then type:

ren win.com win.old

Then run setup.exe from your Win95 CD. This should re-load your windows files without replacing documents or files that you may have created.

Good Luck

P.S.- Remember to enter C:\WINDOWS as your installation directory when prompted. It will probably default to C:\WINDOWS.000 because you already have Windows installed.

In addition, just so you're aware - you will need to reinstall your programs.

willow13

Thanks columbo did as you suggested but lost cd-rom capabilities. Did WinImage thing from previous posts and got boot disk with cd-rom support. Unfortunately now have the same problem. Perhaps I have a bad file or command in there somewhere. What do you know about fdisk and can anyone give me a step by step. Thanks
P.S. Thanks to Angel too.

Hi,

Before you get into f-disk, try booting into Windows through Safe Mode, then copying the Win95 folder from your CD, onto the hard drive. Then you can just run setup.exe from that folder. However, since you're using a 486, I'm guessing that space is limited?
Why do you want to use f-disk? :confused: Do you have partitions on your drive that you want to get rid of? If you don't have any partitions on your system, then you don't really have a need for f-disk. I think it might be easier to assist you if you could specify the size of your hard-drive. That way, we could figure out what option would be best.:)

P.S-Do you also have your license key handy? You'll have to re-enter it when you re-install Win95. If you don't have a paper copy of it, you can find it by booting up your system, then right-clicking on the My Computer icon, and choosing Properties, (should be under "Registered to").

P.P.S-Just a quick question. Why are you still using such an out-dated system? Computers are more affordable now than they've ever been. You could obtain a decent system (i.e.- Pentium II based system) for a couple hundred dollars. You already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

willow13

Thanks again for getting back so quickly. Before you think that I am stuck in the "Dark Ages" I have access to 3 computers (The one currently hooked into the internet - 800 Mhz 14 Gig 128ram) the second is my 486 which was originally a 4 gig and when I recently had hard drive repaired and upgraded to 6 gig (that is where the problems for this computer began) I was told by the last tech ( not from the same company that messed it up) that when it went in for repairs that he felt the "bogging down" and other little problems were caused because they had a problem installing the windows and it was causing a problem for everything else that went in afterwards. Since I have some computer knowlege - self taught ( you know just enough to be dangerous) I should uninstall windows and start fresh. This is what I tried to do. I believe that I have a bad file and you know that writing over a bad file does not usually correct the problem and that the file has to be deleted. this is where I am at the moment. So tell me, if fdisk is not what I want... what is the best way to get rid of all the windows files start clean and make sure that I have a dos promt (pointing to cd-rom) to reload. P.S. I also have a "working" 386.:D

Ya know what? I thought this was suggested before which is why I posted that your programs would need to be reinstalled but I just read over the posts again and I guess it was a figment of my imagination.

If you don't want to completely reformat, boot with a boot disk, and at c:\ type 'ren windows winold' (without the quotes) to rename your Windows folder to winold. Then reinstall Windows and install to c:\windows. Because all of your system files and registry information is in your Windows folder (now winold), that's why I said you would need to reinstall your programs.

Hey Willow,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were stuck in the dark ages, (I didn't know it wasn't your only system).
If you want to wipe out these bad files from your drive, then you'll have to format. Before you do, try to get your hands on a Windows 98 boot disk. This has the CD-ROM support that you'll require after formatting the drive. OK, so boot up the computer to a c:\ prompt, then type in,
format /q (the /q is to run a Quick format).
Once the drive is done formatting, stick your Win98 boot disk into the floppy drive, and reboot your system. When prompted, highlight "Start computer with CD-ROM Support" and press enter. Then, just throw your Windows CD into the drive, and type e:\setup (or whatever letter is assigned to your CD drive). If you don't want to have to use a Windows 98 boot disk, then you'll have to obtain DOS drivers for your CD drive, and this will take you much longer. I'm assuming that you have Win98 installed on one of your other systems, right? If not, then I believe there's a link to a website where you can obtain a Win98 boot disk, somewhere in this forum. I can e-mail it to you if needed.

Good Luck
;)

P.S- I have a working 386 too! It works great as a footrest, and a paperweight.

willow13

I tried to use the "format /q" (without quotes) and all I kept getting was "Required parameter missing"...

So, What's next?:confused:

willow13

Dan-O
Thanks for the heads up on "quick format" took your advice.
The only problem I have now is getting the computer to recognize my cd-rom drive. the site you sent me to is wonderful (my c drive is now formatted ) but when I followed the step by step on setting up cd rom I got to the Install drivers. Here's the problem My drivers are on cdrom.... Now what?
Again thanks for the help especially since it is Sunday.:)

Sorry about that Willow, :rolleyes:

The parameter I forgot was the drive being formatted. It should've read format c: /q.
I've never experienced any problems relating to doing a "quick" format on a drive, but it might be a good idea to just do a regular format as Dan-O suggested.

willow13

Columbo thanks for additional info will add to the list of all the new things I am learning. I did do the formating that Dan-O suggested.

Dan-O
Here is my quiestion just to be clear. I already have the win98 boot disk (even though I am installing win95) because it has cd-rom capabilities. I have already booted to my cd which then becomes drive E because drive D becomes the "virtual drive". The problem I have is that while installing it refers to E:Win95 and It needs to point to the CD because after windows starts for the first time it asks me to install disk 12 for a file and disk 9 --- all of which is on the CD and of course when I hit the browse button E:WIN95 doesn't exist. If I am being "thickheaded" I apologize but I don't know how to make it recognize D: as my CDrom as it had been prior to all my problems. (P.S- old computer changing in CMOS is not an option only have A&C)
Help :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online