Win 95 to 98 upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roblosey

Hello:
I am trying to instal Win 98. I already have WIN 95 installed. When I try to instal Win 98 it tells me that I need the Upgrade version because I already have a version of Windows installed. Can I remove Win 95 and install Win 98? Or, will this remove all of the software/files I have? If I can do this, how do i do it? Thanks.

Hi,

Try this. Obtain a Windows 98 boot-disk (Windows 98 boot-disk , then use it to boot to a DOS prompt. Once you're at the c: prompt, type in cd windows. Then type the following:

ren win.com win.old

Then, just stick your CD into the drive, and begin setup. This should do the trick, and you'll be able to retain your old files.

Post back with your results.

:)

roblosey

I have the MS windows 98 boot disc. I booted up with the disc inserted, and it comes up with three options. I chose the first one--something about installing win 98 from cd. The computer eventually gets to the d:win98\ prompt. I typed in the commands you posted but it says win.com file not found.
Do I need the boot up disc as listed on the webpage you posted? What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

When the system finishes booting, type in c:
Then type

cd windows

Then type in

ren win.com win.old

This should work, provided you haven't deleted win.com from your hard drive (in which case, you wouldn't even be able to get into Windows 95). You haven't formatted your drive, have you?

Post back with results.

roblosey

Hello again:
I did as instructed but with no success. I don't think that I deleted the win.com file. Win 95 starts up and runs just fine. When I get to the point of typing in ren win.com win.old it says that it can't find the win.com file.

Hi,

When you type this in, does it read exactly like this on your screen

C:\WINDOWS\ren win.com win.old

This is what it should look like. You shouldn't be at a D:\ prompt or anything. The win.com file resides in c:\windows , so that is the folder that you have to be in.
It's gotta be there.

:confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online