1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 95 to 98 upgrade

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by roblosey, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roblosey

roblosey Thread Starter

Hello:
    I am trying to instal Win 98. I already have WIN 95 installed. When I try to instal Win 98 it tells me that I need the Upgrade version because I already have a version of Windows installed. Can I remove Win 95 and install Win 98? Or, will this remove all of the software/files I have? If I can do this, how do i do it? Thanks.

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Try this. Obtain a Windows 98 boot-disk (Windows 98 boot-disk , then use it to boot to a DOS prompt. Once you're at the c: prompt, type in cd windows. Then type the following:

ren win.com win.old

Then, just stick your CD into the drive, and begin setup. This should do the trick, and you'll be able to retain your old files.

Post back with your results.

:)

3. roblosey

roblosey Thread Starter

I have the MS windows 98 boot disc. I booted up with the disc inserted, and it comes up with three options. I chose the first one--something about installing win 98 from cd. The computer eventually gets to the d:win98\ prompt. I typed in the commands you posted but it says win.com file not found.
    Do I need the boot up disc as listed on the webpage you posted? What am I doing wrong?

4. columbo

columbo

Hi,

When the system finishes booting, type in c:
    Then type

cd windows

Then type in

ren win.com win.old

This should work, provided you haven't deleted win.com from your hard drive (in which case, you wouldn't even be able to get into Windows 95). You haven't formatted your drive, have you?

Post back with results.

5. roblosey

roblosey Thread Starter

Hello again:
    I did as instructed but with no success. I don't think that I deleted the win.com file. Win 95 starts up and runs just fine. When I get to the point of typing in ren win.com win.old it says that it can't find the win.com file.

6. columbo

columbo

Hi,

When you type this in, does it read exactly like this on your screen

C:\WINDOWS\ren win.com win.old

This is what it should look like. You shouldn't be at a D:\ prompt or anything. The win.com file resides in c:\windows , so that is the folder that you have to be in.
    It's gotta be there.

:confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice