1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 95 Totally Black Screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MTXMOM, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTXMOM

MTXMOM Thread Starter

I recently inherited a WIN 95 PC and my 11 year old was messing with it and proved a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. We think it was a change in the display settings that caused the problem.

It boots up, the monitor works, It runs thru the Bios, the WIN logo, It runs Scan and then a TOTALLY black screen. No cursor, no nothing. I can hear the CPU working. I can move the cursor and hear it opening window or doing something, but I can't see anything but a BLACK screen. Is there a way to restore the display defaults without being able to see the screen? I tried pressing F8, just a black screen.

I have a boot disk, but it already boots up? I would really like to save a couple of data files, so I would like to avoid a re-install. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Are you able to get in through Safe Mode?

I had a similar issue once - it was due to video drivers

3. toddsyr

toddsyr

Very similar to what I once experienced, with the black screen and all. I found that my video card had to be replaced. I guess you see those initial bootup screens with the default windows video drivers. Try a borrowed video card, or buy a cheapy to to test this. That was my scenario anyhow. Hope this helps, Todd.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice