1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 / 2000 / xp pro triple boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by arh, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arh

arh Thread Starter

Hi all,

Looking for advice on how to upgrade a laptop system from 98/2000 dual boot to 98/2000/xp triple boot. I am particularly wondering how to install applications so that both xp and 2000 can run them.

Details:
    I have a laptop with 98/2000, HDD partitioned as follows:
    C: Win98 (FAT32)
    D: Win 2000 (NTFS)
    E: Apps (NTFS)
    F: Data (NTFS)
    G: Data (NTFS)
    All partitions are very full, and it crashes win2k daily.

I have a new 40G drive which I can install into a spare bay, and a copy of partition magic. Ultimately I'd like to move everything on to the new drive, and remove the old one.

I'd like to end up with something like:
    C: Win 98 (FAT32)
    D: Win 2000 (NTFS)
    E: Win xp (NTFS)
    F: Apps (NTFS)
    G: Data 1 (NTFS)
    H: Data 2 (NTFS)
    I: Temp (NTFS)
    J: Linux (maybe).

My questions are:
    (1) Can xp and 2000 share the applications in the APPS partition? And how do I go about installing them? does order matter?
    (2) how much space does xp need for the system partition ?
    (3) is there an equivalent of 'cp -p -r' to copy files from one HDD to another, while retaining ownership, security permissions etc?

Many thanks in advance,

har.

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

To share the apps folder for installed programs just install them to the same place on the machine. OS specific files are usually written to the boot partition of that OS. Its best to install older OS software first.

98 and 2K need at least 2GB, and although you can get away with that for XP you will rapidly start running out of space once you start putting AV and other software on. Go for at least 3GB for XP.

I'm not sure what cp is? Is that a Linux command?

3. Zachary

Zachary

i'd say make it at least 5 or 6 GB.... Microsoft recommends about 8 GB though..

hope that help a bit

Zach.

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

MS recommends about 8, but they assume that you will be installing all of your other space-hungry MS apps like Office etc onto the same partition. In this instance it wouldn't apply as there is a separate partition for apps.

The actual installation of XP takes up about 1.5 GBs, but you need some space free for the swap file, and for apps which don't allow a custom installation. Hence the 3 GB minimum I would recommend.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice