1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 98 & 98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cabee, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cabee

cabee Thread Starter

Getting rid of PC, WIN 98, wanted some of the programs and files, was going to use flash memory, can not do unless 98SE, had copy of SE, tried to install, no luck, not sure why, sure seemed like it was doing it's thing, but when done, had a welcome to Win 98. Question now is can I use a USB 2.0 cable with an adapter that will make both ends USB, from the 98 to new PC that is Win XP. I have copied some files to CD, but can not get them into the new PC. I know the CD burned OK as I can open it in my notebook, but when I try to install on new PC, does not even recognize the CD, tells me 0 bytes, but in notebook, it shows bytes used etc. If this can't be done, at this point, no biggie, but will have to buy new software for one program. This may all sound stupid, but when I bought my notebook, the clerk sold me a cable to transfer info, from my desktop to the notebook. For some reason, I never had to do it, gave the cables away. My question, is how can you transfer from one PC to another if the software is not in the new PC, such as a check writing program, MS works, rather than MS word? Just a ? What is most important to me is the check program, not sure where the original software is.
    Thanks for any and all help!
    cabee

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot (usually) transfer a program from one PC to another.

In Windows, programs are "installed" from the original file or CD.
    When that happens, the location of each file and critical information is written into the Windows registry, pertaining to numerous files and routines in the program.
    This information is usually specific to that installation of Windows.

Copying the installed files across means they will not run, as the corresponding keys have not been created.

Some older DOS based programs are not affected in this manner, but all or most Windows programs are.

3. cabee

cabee Thread Starter

Thanks kiwiguy! What you say, sure makes sense to me, where just connecting one computer to another did not. The cable was only $20. but what I replaced it with was only $5. go figure. If I ever get this new PC set up and everything that I need into it, it will be a miracle.

Thanks again,
    cabee

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Cabee:

Software programs have to be installed from scratch into your new computer.

If both computers have a floppy drive, you can copy your personal text and image files to floppy disks, then transfer them to your new computer.

Setting up a new computer or formatting the hard drive and installing Windows in an older computer and then setting it up is a time-consuming job. Be patient and don't try to do it all in 1 day.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice