Win 98 Access Logs?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dklayer

One of my company's executives just got back from a European vacation. When trying to sign on to his PC (WIN98SE) he had forgotten his password and could not get signed on. Certain that he had not forgotten the password, he convinced himself that someone had been into his office and had been snooping around on his PC. I have been charged with proving or disproving that the PC had been accessed during the vacation. The system scheduler was turned off a year ago so the SCHEDLOG.TXT file is of no help. Is there any way that I can determine if a PC was accessed during a given time frame or not? Any proof must be certain as a large ego is involved here.

Thanks in advance.

You might start in find files. Click the Date tab . You'll see that you can search for all files modified, created and/or accesses between any dates you enter. If you try that and something pops out, you'll have proof the computer was used.

Do a Find Files search. Click on the Date tab and specify a date range you are interested in for all files "modified" during that period.

If the computer was so much as booted during that period, you will see modified files.

Darn Mo', you beat me to it :)

dklayer

Are you certain of this? If the create or modify date gets updated every time you sign in, then when the exec signed on to his computer for the first time, all of the tell tale files would get updated to today's date, thus covering any tracks. I'd like to find a log file of some sort that has the date and time of all sign ons. I'm more a UNIX guy than a PC guy so maybe I'm expecting too much from Windows.

Thanks again.

The key is to set the correct dates. I just did it and it works. Modified,created or last accessed.

EDIT: After you have performed the search, go to the toolbar to Edit>save search
The search will be saved and placed on the desktop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online