1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 98 conectivity problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by swilliam, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swilliam

swilliam Thread Starter

Hi guys,

An explanation of the problem:

At work I have a network with a certain machine running Win 98 second edition. The network card on the back of the machine's lights are lit. Also, the port that the computer connects to on the hub is lit. I tested the wire that connects the computer to the hub and the wire is ok. It is an ethernet network and all of the computers have TCP/IP installed. There are 7 computers (Four are win98, one is XP, one is win2000 server, one is NT server) on the network including 2 servers. One server the older of two servers, but is still used and runs an old hospital system program. The other server is the server which contains the new hospital system program. The old server requires the computers to have NETBUI installed in order to see it in network neighborhood and to connect to it. Four of the computers have NETBUI installed. All of the other computers on the network can see this certain computer that has win98 and access it's files. The workgroup is the same on all. The network card is a 3Com 10/100 3C905C-TX-M. It's installed correctly and shows up fine in the device manager. When I go into network neighborhood on this certain computer, however, it can't see any other computers or anything else on the network.

My question:

Why is it that this computer with win98 can't see anything on the network, not even itself, but all of the other computers can access it just fine??

Thank you and an answer for this would be MUCH appreciated as i have been trying to figure this out for days because this person is trying to access the new server to get into her program. If you have any questions please post them. thanks!!

2. stod73

stod73

Have you tried pinging the local host?

3. swilliam

swilliam Thread Starter

yes, I have pinged the local host and it responded back fine which is also odd.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you ping other computers in the workgroup by IP address? This sounds like a name resolution issue.

5. swilliam

swilliam Thread Starter

well, I can ping the "problem" computer by IP with another computer and the "problem" computer responds, but I can't ping out with the "problem" computer.

6. JohnWill

Have you uninstalled all the networking components, including the NIC, rebooted and reinstalled everything? If that fails, another possibility is a corrupted WINSOCK, here's a link to a fix program that repairs the registry entries. http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

7. swilliam

swilliam Thread Starter

yes, what I did was: shut the computer down, removed the NIC, rebooted the computer, then removed everything in the network neighborhood properties including tcp/ip, netbui. the only thing that was left was the little dial up adapter icon thing. i did leave that in, because that's the modem. anyway, i then shut the computer down and rebooted. I did not think to remove the workgroup name or computer name, but that probably doesn't matter right? Anyway, I will try fixing that with the repair registry and get back to you.

8. JohnWill

We wait with baited breath. :D

9. swilliam

swilliam Thread Starter

Sorry guys, i didn't write back. I got out of wourk on friday and i didn't even want to think about work. Anyway, I kept meaning to post that I fixed it! I felt so stupid because all i had to do was change the default login to get into windows on the problem computer to a login that she had for months. Somehow windows was putting in the login that she uses to dial up to the internet as default and i had to change it back to the original login that she had for a long time. I tried doing that the first day of the problem but i was putting in a password with it which USED to be the correct way to log her in. All i had to do was use her original login and hit "ok". That's were i hit "cancel" and it messed everything up. I felt so stupid when i figured out that was the problem. Computers can be humbling:) Thanks again!!

10. JohnWill

Yep, when you cancel the login, you are not able to access network resources...

11. stod73

stod73

swilliam,
    At least you had the guts to admit it. Good job figuring it out!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice