1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 does not recognize cd-rom drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Santi79, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Santi79

Santi79 Thread Starter

I took my computer to a retail store to have a sound card installed. They were unsuccessfull because they said the operating system (Win 98) in my computer was not recognizing my cd-rom drives to finalize the installation. That's funny, they were perfectly fine before I had them install the soundcard. Any, is there something I can do to correct what these people ruined in my windows 98 computer?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Well, first, check the obvious....power to cd...does the tray open and close? Gray cable attached to cd to hard drive or motherboard.

Does the drive appear in my computer, in the bios setup?

3. Santi79

Santi79 Thread Starter

Thank you for your kind welcome. I do have power to the cd drives. They do open and close. As far as "My Comp" the drives do not appear there. You will have to be patient with me because I do not know what is the bios set up (I am not very computer savy).

4. ~Candy~

Well, if they don't appear in my computer, the MOST LIKELY problem is the connection inside, can you check that first.

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Right click on "My Computer". Click on Properties/Device Manager. Click on the + next to CDRom. Is your CDRom drive listed? If it is, click on it then click on Properties. Now click on Settings. If the box next to DMA has a check mark in it, click on the box to remove the check mark. Click OK then reboot the computer.

6. Santi79

Santi79 Thread Starter

CDRom is not listed in Device Mgr. Only a "Disk Drives" icon. When I drop that down I see "Drives" and "Generic NEC Floppy Disk"
    ????????

7. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) OK. I agree with AcaCandy then. You need to pop the cover off the computer and check the cables (power and IDE) going to the CDRom drive(s). Most likely, the flat cable going from the connector on the mother board to the CDRom drive has come loose.

8. Santi79

Santi79 Thread Starter

Thank you Kilowatt1 and AcaCandy. I will try some open surgery and see how handy I am.

9. ~Candy~

Just follow the flat gray cable. It should come out of the back of the cdrom and attach to either the hard drive, or go straight to the motherboard. There is also a red stripe on the gray cable, it should be facing towards the power connect.....they can sometimes be put on backwards......

Thanks KW, we agree again :p

10. DKTaber

DKTaber

Santi: I agree with the others that your problem is most likely a connection cable. Be aware that these cables have many pins (40) and if they get plugged in wrong (shifted one pin right or left), they won't work. Also, you must make sure pin #1 on the IDE port on the motherboard is connected to pin #1 on the CD drive. The cable has one outside wire marked with red paint; that's the #1 pin.

Ordinarily, cables have keys molded into the plastic connections that make it impossible to connect the cable incorrectly, but not always.

Hope this works.

11. Santi79

Santi79 Thread Starter

I checked inside the computer and found the cables to be in order as AcaCandy and Killowat1 pointed out. So far no no luck. I will look with more a more detailed eye going by your reply. Thank you for your suggestions.

12. ~Candy~

When you say in order, please be specific......identify how they are connected and where to.......red stripe closest to power connector, etc.

13. Santi79

Santi79 Thread Starter

Ok guys. I opened both panels of my computer and inspected both flat cables leading from the mother board to the cd drives and the floppy disk drive. The red stripes are facing the power cord on both cd drives as AcaCandy wanted me to specify which is I believe the same as pin#1 as DKTaber wanted me to verify. I also checked the pins (I have 39 by the way DKTaber) on the flat cable connectors. They all seemed to be fine (not bent over). Finally, I did notice that IDE2 on the mother board leads to the CDRW drive then to the CDR drive and IDE1 leads to the floppy disk drive. Is this order of connection correct?

14. ~Candy~

Floppy drive should have it's own floppy cable which is distinctly different from IDE unless it's an LS120 drive or similar.

Hopefully IDE 1 leads to the hard drive :eek:

15. ~Candy~

Also, can you access the bios setup to be sure the secondard IDE is set to enabled?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice