Win 98 does not recognize cd-rom drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Santi79

The floppy disk cable is flat and gray like the cdrom drive cables. The only difference is that it is smaller. I think it has twenty pins or so. About the Bios setup, you will have to show me how access it if possible. I don't know anything about Bios.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Right, but it should go to a different place on the motherboard, not to IDE.

When the computer is starting there is a key to press to access setup, usually it is the DEL key, but can be F 1, F 2, Compaq F 10.

Santi: Just emphasizing AcaCandy's response that the floppy drive CANNOT be on IDE ports 1 or 2; it should have it's own port on the MoBo.

Santi79

I was able to access BIOS but I wasn't sure were to find the IDE's to check if they were enabled. The screen in Bios was split in two. The Left half had many category's. The second half seemed to be for setting up stuff. Anyway, I checked every category on the left half of the screen and could not find anything mentioning IDE's. Did I miss something or should I be somewhere in bios. As far as the floppy drive being on IDE 1, can you describe where it should be connected?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
It should be connected to the floppy controller on the motherboard, it is a bit smaller than the IDE connectors there.

Also in the bios look around for cdrom info, it may say AUTO.....there should be ide entries maybe....you'll have to look at all the pages.

i am having THIS SAME problem....on windows 98!

my burner does NOT show up in the BIOS or in DEvice manager, but my DVD rom DOES. i tried removing my dvd rom completely and putting my burner as the secondary master , but still no read.......but when i put the DVD rom as secondary master its shows....but the burner still does not as secondary slave. i checked the pins,and the cables.......it all worked acouple of weeks ago....now NOTHING!

my box:
1.2 Ghz AMD athlon
40gig HD
CREATIVE-DVDrom
ACER-burner
EPOX mobo
FLoppy
IOMEGA Zip drive
512 mb sdram
Geforce4 4200 64 mb
Soundblaster sound card
Linksys NIC

HELP!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
If it's not showing up in device manager, it probably died.

Your IDE ports are full (you have and master and a slave on both). If you're ABSOLUTELY sure the jumpers are set correctly for master and slave on both ports, the data cable AND the power cords are for sure seated all the way in, then I have to agree with AcaCandy: Your burner has "passed away". Pax um biscum.

NOPE, b/c i installed it on my other PC, and it worked FINE.

aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh, i neeed HELP!

JP

Did you try unplugging the IDE cable and putting it back? Or even better, using the one that works on your other computer. Be careful when aligning pins and connector.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Try the burner as slave with the hard drive....change jumpers.....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts