1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 98 doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by peter f, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peter f

peter f Thread Starter

I've got a problem with Windows 98. I guess I somehow deleted some files accidently, now my computer doesn't boot. Of course I could simply re-install windows, but I thought it would be easier to restore the deleted files from 'Recycled'. Is this possible in MS-DOS and how?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you remember what files you deleted ?? what happens when you boot - does it hang ???

3. starwaves77

starwaves77

Peter,

This is what your looking for Restore Recycled Files in DOS , it's an excellent description of this exact issue. The problem will be, that it's complicated, the reason being you can't just restore the files in recycle bin in DOS the way you can in windows and have all the files go back to their original paths with one easy swoop, you can easily copy all the files in the 'recycled' folder to C: , C:\windows, etc, but that will put everything in one place only, meaning files that need to go to 'system' or 'windows' or C: won't , but the files that are needed to boot are 'msdos.sys' , 'io.sys' , & 'command.com' and they are all on C:, so you could technically just copy all to C:, and probably get it, that's the easy way, and then sort out the mistakes after you boot up, but if the file that was missing needed to go to 'system' it won't get it,

OR --- just use your emergency boot disk, and then sys c: , that would put those files that are needed right where they belong,

The DOS command's would be:
    Insert boot disk, start pc, at A:\ ........type:
    sys c:

The 'recycled' equivalent is:
    assuming you don't use the boot disk and find yourself at C:\

type:
    cd recycled

you see C:\recycled
    now type,

copy *.* C:

and that will copy all the files in 'recycled' to c: ,
    but that's guessing .......
    better to know what is missing first,

- there must be an 'error' message your getting at boot, something like 'this file command.com' is missing etc,

That's your best clue as to what file to directly restore,

Truthfully, I just put that link up for reference, I think you can boot up without going through all that, if you know what file's are missing via the error message,

--> what's the error message at boot --> that will lead more directly to the solution

Like Etaf suggested; what do you think you deleted,

:)

4. peter f

peter f Thread Starter

The error was just as if you insert a disk while booting. However, I decided to re-install Windows and now things work. I still had to delete some files in DOS as there was almost no space left on my hard disc... (y)

However, thanks for your detailed instructions. It's great that there are such people on the internet. :)

Btw: I didn't get online again after posting my question here this afternoon, that's why I simply re-installed after all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice