Win 98 Fadal Boot Up

Effenstine

I have a 2000 Fadal VMC, it came from the factory with Win 98 on the PC side of the controls.
The Win 98 will not boot.

I get the following:

Not ready reading drive C
Abort,Retry,Fail? R
C:\ WINDOWS\system\vmm32..vxd: Missing/unable to load

Any thoughts?

I suspect the HD may be going bad.
Can I recover from this?

Thanks for everything I can try,
Frank

I have a 2000 Fadal VMC, it came from the factory with Win 98 on the PC side of the controls.
The Win 98 will not boot.

I get the following:

Not ready reading drive C
Abort,Retry,Fail? R
C:\ WINDOWS\system\vmm32..vxd: Missing/unable to load

Any thoughts?

I suspect the HD may be going bad.
Can I recover from this?

Thanks for everything I can try,
Frank
It could be a failing Hard Drive issue you are having with the PC. How old is the computer? Also, could you please provide more system specifics.

Effenstine

I expect it was built between 1995 and 2000, since it came with the new machine in 2000

I could probably dig out more, does this help?

Main Processor AMD-K6-2-/400
Math Processor Built-In
Floppy Drive A 1.44 MB 3 1/2
Floppy Drive B 1.44 MB 3 1/2
AMI BIOS Date 07/15/95
External Cashe 512 KB, Enabled
Base Memory 640 KB
External Memory 64512 KB

Manufacturer PICMG. PCI Industrial Computers
MotherBoard PCI-5S VER: G1
PCB-0222 PCI-ISA

Thanks,
Frank

How old is the PC makes a big different outcome occur compared to a newer computer. A PC that is 20 or more years old is more likely to have hardware-related issues. The CMOS battery likely needs to be replaced. Also, the Hard Drive may be at the end of its life. In this case, the CMOS battery may very well be in need of replacement. I would recommend replacement of the CMOS battery being done, first. A 20+ years old computer needs to have this done. Without the CMOS working, the OS will not be able to be loaded. Also, the BIOS settings will not be able to be retained. Beyond that, a Hard Drive failure may have occurred. Eventually, Hard Drives will fail if not replaced. However, the CMOS battery being dead seems like the likely cause of the error message you mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online