1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 98 install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dougj, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

I have a win98 2nd ed laptop that freezes on startup. Started in safe mode by using step by step startup. Had to skip loading all windows drivers to get it started.

When I do this my CD drive does not appear. Since I need to reload windows can I start it from an emergency startup disk and then run setup without loosing my current install?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

The CD-ROM will not show in Safe Mode is why you're not seeing it in that mode.

What happens when you try to boot to Normal Mode? Does your laptop have the capability to have both the floppy drive and CDROM in at the same time?

3. mobo

mobo

Is there anything out of the ordinary in device manager ?

4. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

the laptop has both drives ( floppy and CDROM) installed and in device manager the CDROM shows up but has no status.

I can boot with an winME emergency disk and start the install from CDROM that way but I am concerned that it will overwrite my current win 98 install completely, rather than reinstall when it is done from within windows.

thanx

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Your current installation will be over-written yes, especially if you're using a Full version, and not an Upgrade. A full version of Windows requires you (alerts you during Setup) that you are using a full version and a format will be becessary. If you aren't alerted of that suring the initial start of Setup then it's an Upgrade version.

In either case you need to have your sensitive data backed up well before you start. If you can get into Safe Mode you surely can back up your sensitive data!

Sensitive data is:

(Internet Explorer Favorites; Netscape Bookmarks, Address Book and Netscape Mail Folders; Outlook Express Address Books and Folders (compress any Netscape Mail or Outlook Express folders first) letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, music, etc.) to removable media for restoring later.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice