1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 Installation

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by twinnick, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twinnick

twinnick Thread Starter

O.K.......I can officially say I HATE MY LAPTOP!

Now for the problem. I just reformatted the hard drive. I have the bootdisk and am choosing to start the computer with CD Support. Once done, I switch directories to my cd drive, but after awhile it say's that there was an error reading the drive! Now I'm stuck!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Nick
    South Dakota

2. bandit429

bandit429

Hello,

What is the complete model number and brand of computer?

Which operating system will you be installing?

Do the floppy and cdrom drives switch out or are they both built into the computer?

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I may be mistaken, but my impression from reading your post is that you started the CD just after formatting the drive...did you reboot when prompted to?

Just as a precaution- clean the CD you are using- smudges or scratches can stop it from reading/starting.
    Did the drive work normally before the format?
    Can you change the boot sequence to try and boot from the CD drive- you change the boot priority to CD ROM as first boot device in the BIOS....boot up with the Windows/Restore CD in.
    Or, if that option not available, try a new bootdisk.
    www.bootdisk.com

4. twinnick

twinnick Thread Starter

Bandit429-

As for the laptop itself, it is a Compaq Armada SB

Series # 2920D

I am trying to reinstall Windows 98

The floppy and CD drives are both built in.

Byteman-

I followed the instructions which were given to me. I started the computer with the bootdisk. Chose option 1 ( start with cd support) and then at the prompt told it to format c drive. after completion I switched directories to the cd drive ( in this case F ) and then typed cd win98 after which it gave me the error message ( abort, retry or fail )
    I have tried using a new bootdisk, cleaning the cd, but still the same message. I put the cd in my home pc and it works just fine. PLease don't tell me that my computer is trashed :(

Thanks all as usual,

Nick

5. bandit429

bandit429

Did you run fdisk? If you have not then don't, not yet unless byteman knows somthing I don't. Some compacs require a floppy called a softpac,,if that is a good model we should be able to find one.

6. bandit429

bandit429

Try
    F:\> setup

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure the cdrom is assigned to F? With the boot disk, the cdrom shifts one letter ahead from where you knew it to be normally.......

8. Byteman

Hi, Like to clear something up- I dont know where you got the instructions from to use fdisk- but whoever told you to do that was not aware perhaps that Compaqs use a small Restore partition to run the Compaq Restore disks from.... If you are installing a plain Windows CD, then the above is not relevant....
    If you ARE trying to reinstall the system software for your make and model of Compaq, there are instructions at the Compaq site.
    Post back which method you are trying, maybe that will clear up any misinterpretations.

9. twinnick

twinnick Thread Starter

I guess by now, I am so confused that I don't know if I should wind my butt or scratch my watch!

At any rate, I have tried everyone's directions, but still to no avail!

Would it be possible for someone to walk me through the process?

Nick

10. Byteman

Hi, What type of Cd do you have, a Microsoft Windows version or a Compaq Restore CD?

11. Byteman

http://h71025.www7.hp.com/support/home/index.asp

http://h71025.www7.hp.com/support/h...&catid=698&famid=699&destination=home&prodid=

I dont see any Armada 2920D listed.....check the model number on the bottom or wherever the label is.
    I did find the Armada SB Family, it does not have a 2920D showing, either: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/armada/us/index.html

The models shown are sorted by processor speed

((Just as an example...here is support, reinstall info from one notebook, note this IS NOT your model......but it may have some directions that are relevant to what you want to do.....perhaps you can print them? )) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/armada/us/locate/4_922.html
    Take a look at the "FAQs" section....lotsof them, look through these carefully when you have the time....the info you need is in them.
    They did have a way to order, for a small fee, new Cds that have drivers and all you need....your Armada is apparently and ex-business machine...so, it would probably not have come with ANY software, perhaps it was just blank....you CAN install a version of Windows on it, but there are procedures to go through this. http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/...ountrycode=1000&catid=763&famid=764&prodid=94|Armada+SB&delete=TRUE

Do you know what processor type and speed you have?
    What we are looking for is a number something like this:
    5200/32/3.2/DM OR,, 5233/etc see if you can find one like that.

12. twinnick

twinnick Thread Starter

I know that I have a pentium processor, but am not sure what speed etc.

I read the info links, and repartitioned as instructed, but it still did not fix the problem. I am stuck without my laptop! ( I realize it may be old, but I can't afford to by a new one :(

Does this error message mean anything to anyone?

CD101 error reading drive

It's strange, because when I boot from the disk I see something about atapi cd drivers, and I can hear the cd drive running when I try to start the install, but alway's the same error message!

I AM TOTALLY PULLING OUT MY HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Byteman

Hi,

This may help-
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/notebooks/us/download/8053.html
    or this:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/notebooks/us/download/8359.html

There are quite a few things that could cause this error- range from dirty/scratched CD, dust on CD drive lens itself, to missing drivers for a non-typical CD drive.

Still, you have not answered one way or the other some questions- can you find any other model number----the one you posted does NOT relate to any shown at the Compaq site, for any model in the Armada SB Family.

There is a diagnostic disk you can make with a download....this might be what bandit429
    meant by a SoftPaq.......
    And, what about the CD you are installing- is it a Compaq CD or a Windows CD? It's late, be back tomorrow. Good luck.

14. twinnick

twinnick Thread Starter

As for the model number, I have tried to locate it. The only numbers I can find are a series number. I know I am not blind, nor am I stupid, but believe me, it's not there! I have sent Compaq an email asking for further info on where to obtain this model number. As for the disk I am using it is a windows 98 installation disk.

I realize you guy's are getting frustrated with me, and I am sorry.

Thanks again,

Nick:rolleyes:

15. twinnick

twinnick Thread Starter

If it helps, I scanned a picture of the back of my laptop. It is the only sticker etc., I have other than the very faded serial number. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice