1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 keeps freezing up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zeke, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

Hi, my problem is that windows 98 2nd ed. keeps freezing up on me. It does it mostly when I am online or downloading something using the kazaa downloading software but it also does it when I try and play an mpeg or mp3. I can't do anything about it other than restart but it's getting old doing this. Also, hitting crlt, alt, delete does nothing. When it freezes up it really freezes up. I have an internal syquest 1 gig drive on this computer but that's the extent of the gadgets on it. Any ideas?

Thanks

zeke

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Kazaa, hopefully you have a virus program running that is current?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok......go to software environment, startup programs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste what you have running.

Also how much ram do you have? And what do your system resources show (right click on my computer, properties, performance tab) ?

3. beach51

beach51

Hi zeke,Kazaa,is loaded with spyware,and some of the real nasty stuff,like newdotnet ,ezula main,toptext,just to name a few.Do as Aca Candy said and paste your startup programs here.I had Kazaa on my computer,and had all sorts of problems.Ad-aware 5.6 will remove some of it but not all,but you should download that program anyhow.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

You can read about spyware and what it does to your computer here

www.cexx.org

Hi Candy :D You know the anti-virus companys should start treating some of these spyware nasty's as virus's,newdotnet and ezula main act like a virus or trojen,and should be treated as one.

4. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

Ok. Here is what I have on my start program.

ZoneAlarm Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nopopup
    IgfxTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\igfxtray.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    NAV DefAlert Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\DEFALERT.EXE
    Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    MiniLog Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

I do know that kazaa has a lot of spyware stuff and that's why I only use it on this computer. I don't really have anything on it that I am afraid to loose.

I don't really understand much of this but I got myself a book called windows 98 registry to find out what the heck is inside windows and how it works (or doesn't).

Thanks

Zeke

5. beach51

beach51

Hi Zeke,you must have the first version of kazaa,which was spyware free.You dont have any spyware in your startup.I see you have norton anti-virus,is it upto date?Have you run a virus scan?Make sure all the fans are working,overheating can cause your system to freeze.Make sure your power supply is making a good connection in the back of the computer.Could also be the video card.Right click on My Computer,select properties,proformance,graphics,the hardware acceleration slider should be all the way to the right(full)if it is try moving it back one notch.

6. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

Beach51,
    I used lavasoft to remove the spyware from this computer when I installed kazaa. However, I didn't mention that I have 3 things in my system property with problems. I have not been able to load the drivers for them. They are: PCI Card, PCI Multimedia Audio Device and Unkown Device. I don't know what these items are and I don't know how to find out what they are and get the specifics to look for the drivers on the net. Can you point me in the right direction?

Norton is scheduled for weekly scans and I have the latest update and I also have zone alarm as a firewall.

Thanks

zeke

7. ~Candy~

Try removing them and restart windows and do one at a time when windows finds new hardware. After the first one is found, cancel finding the rest.....you might start with the sound device. Get that one happy, restart the computer, and continue with the rest.

You'll need your driver disk or cdrom that came with the computer. If you don't have that, you'll need to take a look to see what sound card you have and someone can help you locate drivers.

Maybe you have the manual that came with the motherboard and/or computer?

8. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

I know the sound is built in to the motherboard but the multimedia I don't know anything about it. I do have a dial up modem still installed for just in case dsl goes down. I will unistall it and let you know what I come up with.

thanks

zeke

9. ~Candy~

The PCI multimedia device IS the sound card.......

Do this as well, post your IRQs so we can see what is where right now....

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok.....go to hardware resources, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

10. zeke

zeke Thread Starter

OK here is the IRQ info.
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller
    5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 MPU-401 Compatible
    11 Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100)
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (single fifo)
    14 Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
    15 Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice