1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 list of errors

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Lindee, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

I tried loading Win XP into our computer that has Win 98 SE. It was so slow, I had to uninstall it. Also, found some of my software was not compatible. I went back to 98 SE and am having trouble with starting Win when the computer is turned on. It gives me an error with a black screen that is:
    C:\proga~1\cyberm~2\cyberkrn.VXD. I have no idea what that is . It says if I want to continue using that file device to reinstall it. Does anyone know what it is or where to find it? I tried to reinstall Win98 thinking it would find what I needed. I thought wrong. It wouldn't load properly, saying there were files it couldn't find???? I did a scan disk, defrag ; everything but stand on my head. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. [email protected] email address corrected.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Lindee
    Welcome to TSG!
    The VXd mentioned is associated to a cybermedia software program. Here is a link to the programs they offer.
    http://www.cybermedia.com/products/free/
    If you have any of those programs you may have to uninstall and reinstall to correct the error.
    Let us know if you need further help.
    Dave

3. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Thank you Davey7549,

You cleared up some of the mystery. I checked out the site you listed and I found I have or should I say had, Oil Changer on my computer ages ago. It had been uninstalled at one time. The problems occured when I installed Wun XP and then uninstalled it. I do not have the Oil Changer CD to reinstall it. Can it be reinstalled by another method? Any suggestions?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Lindee
    I have to run tonight. I will look tomorrow for the correct way to fix this since I know which program is the culprit.
    Dave

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Lindee
    Sorry about the delay last night. Had some personal situation come up.
    Anyway go to start/run type in msconfig
    when screen comes up click the winini tab and then the plus sign by the windows item. If there is a item that reads
    load=C:\proga~1\cyberm~2\cyberkrn.VXD
    uncheck the box in front of it, click apply
    most case I would have you click ok and restart your system now but I want you to go to the Static VXd tab and make sure it is not listed there and also under the startup area. If it is listed anywhere there uncheck the box. After reviewing all three
    click ok. If item was found anywhere in those three areas restart your system and see if problem is gone. If item was not found post back and wee will look further into it.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

6. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

Thank you for replying. I did as you asked and did not find it. The only thing that was close in the winin. was;" load". It didn't have anything after it. Could this cyber file have anyting to do with the list of dll. files that could not be found when I tried to reload Win98? I have a whole list including some olesvr.dll errors. Where do I look next? I am about .....this close.... to throwing this computer out the window!

7. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Davey 7549,

I am pretty much at a standstill with my computer in trying to find the Cybermedia file that was installed. Please see my previous posts. Are you able to give me any other information on these errors? Thank you.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What do you have running at startup?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to software, startup, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste....

9. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Hi ACA Candy,

I hope this is wehat you were talking about.

HP OfficeJet Startup Startup Group C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPOFFI~1\BIN\HPOSTR05.EXE
    Quicken Startup Startup Group C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
    Billminder Startup Group C:\QUICKENW\BILLMIND.EXE -startup
    HP OfficeJet Series 600 StartUp Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SULFNBK.EXE
    Mount Safe & Sound Volumes Startup Group "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Safe & Sound\fbmount.exe"
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe
    QAGENT Registry (Machine Run) C:\QUICKENW\QAGENT.EXE
    EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) c:\logitech\mouse\system\em_exec.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe /RUNSERVICES
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) c:\windows\SYSTEM\mstask.e

Thanks - Lindee

10. ~Candy~

Well, it's not loading from there......just in case you don't know, you don't need the Quicken stuff starting every time you start the computer, unless you really use the Quicken bill reminder......if you do, then don't worry about it, if you don't, you can go to start, run, then type msconfig and hit ok.....go to the start up tab and uncheck everything to do with Quicken.

Let's look at these files now:

Start button, run, then type sysedit and hit ok.....first look at the autoexec.bat and the config.sys tabs to see if that line is loading from there....I suspect not.......

Then go to the win.ini and the system.ini tabs......scroll thru each of those, again looking for the offending line.....let us know where you find it and we'll 'rem' it out of the start up.

BTW, I just noticed, do you have 2 virus programs installed and running? Norton and McAfee????

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try this, from start, run regedit

Click Edit>Find and do searches for

cyberkrn or cyberm

I suspect the references will be in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlset\Services\VxD

and you can try navigating there manually for a look as well.

Since this program has been uninstalled you can right click on the specific (subkey) entries being called and delete them.

If you make a serious mistake and delete something you shouldn't have (I don't think you will), just press and hold the ctrl key when starting up. Choose the "command prompt" option from the startup menu and enter: scanreg /restore at the c:\> prompt.

12. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Rollin Rog and ACACandy,

I have followed both your instructions. Rog: It appears that Oil Changer is still installed on the computer. Under 'Find" I found: C:\Programfiles/cybermdeiaOilChanger\oc32.exe I restarted the computer holding down the control key as you asked. It won't allow me to type anything in. When my computer starts up, rather than starting windows I get a black screen with the following:

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or an application. C:\Proga~1\cyberm~2\cyberkrn.VXD. The ststem reg SYSTEM.INI file that refers to this device may no longer exist. I also thought if I tried to reinstall Win98 it would help. It didn't. During the install while it was trying to copy files before the installation and it was unable to find several dll files and wouldn't properly install. This really can't be that hard!

ACACandy: I did not find the autoexe.bat file you mentioned and was unable to find where they were loading from.

How can I restore my computer to the original factory settings w ithout losing everything? Can I hook up my laptop to my desk top PC and transfer files? If so, how and would it transfer this garbage to my laptop? I would really like to solve the problem with desk top errors.

I actually do have both Norton and MacAfee anti virus. MacAfee was installed on my computer. It appears that Norton will find things that MacAfee doesn't. Is it okay to uninstall it? I know I don't need both.

13. ~Candy~

Start, run, then type sysedit and press ok....go to the system.ini tab.........

The line must be there.........

14. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

ACACandy,

Here is what is listes in that tab:

[boot]
    oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
    shell=Explorer.exe
    system.drv=system.drv
    drivers=mmsystem.dll power.drv
    user.exe=user.exe
    gdi.exe=gdi.exe
    sound.drv=mmsound.drv
    dibeng.drv=dibeng.dll
    comm.drv=comm.drv
    mouse.drv=lmouse.drv
    keyboard.drv=keyboard.drv
    *DisplayFallback=0

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Lindee, I'm not sure you understood correctly what I was asking you to do.

I believe the "call" for this VxD is coming from the system registry. To eliminate it, you must delete the reference there.

I'm not sure which "Find" tool you used, but you must use the one in the Registry Editor. Restarting to a command prompt and entering scanreg /restore was just something to do incase you made a mistake deleting something in the registry.

Again, from start, run regedit
    When it opens, click on Edit
    In the Find field enter: cyberkrn.vxd

When it finds it, you should be able to right click on it and delete the reference.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice