1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 98 Locking up with Sound Looping

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RickKing, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RickKing

RickKing Thread Starter

I have had an ongoing problem with my system locking up and then repeating the last second or so of sound in an endless loop. The only way out of this is to reset my machine. It only seems to happen in Games, or when I play an Mpeg- mp3's work fine. I have noticed that some banner ads with sound are causing it as well. The Cameron Diaz Ad on the Morpheus start page is a perfect example. Within 1 or secs of the Audio starting on that banner I am reaching for my reset button. When it happens in games(some not all) I can turn the sound off and I will never have a problem, as soon as I turn sound(not music) back on BOOM it locks up. I have replaced my sound card(went from old Diamond sonic impacts90 to a Creative labs SB live Value!) and still no luck. I am leaning towards a DirectSound issue but I am not 100% convinced of that yet. I am running win 98 with all the latest patches(I have wiped my Drive clean and started fresh many times), I am also running DirectX8.1. My Graphic card(viper770 TNT2 32MB) drivers are the latest Nvida ones and my Sound Card Drivers are the latest on Creatives site. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. bubbalouie

bubbalouie

You don't say if you have installed anything just prior to having this problem (hardware or software) so I assume that this just started to happen. I once had a Creative sound card do this to me and it drove me nuts. Finally cured problem by moving sound card from slot to slot until the problem went away.This may do nothing for you but it is worth a shot

3. par3dud

par3dud

This may help.

run 'dxdiag' and click on the sound tab. turn acceleration down to its lowest setting. this solved a similar problem i had with one particular game i had.

good luck

4. TekBonkerz

TekBonkerz

Weird ..... try checking your system resources.
    Restart your computer then rIght click on My Computer icon, select Properties
    Click on Performance see what it says on System Resources
    If they are around the 65% mark, you should run the System Configuration Utility and stop some programs from launching on startup. To run this program click on START > RUN and type MSCONFIG then click on the StartUp tab.
    If you need help on what to uncheck from the StartUp tab let us know.
    If your resources are fine .... umm ... then ... get a live chiken, raise it above your head and chant "Molly Molly Simbahlee" 8 times..... heee heeee j/k :p

:D Hope this helps :D

5. RickKing

RickKing Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, As for the Question have I installed something recently no, This has been one of those problems that seems to come and go, it will hang around a few months and then go away for a couple more then back it comes. I have tried running dx Diag and turning the Acceleration down(even all the way) it seems to help a bit but eventually I get the same problem. I do notice a few problems in other programs when I drop Acceleration to 0 though. I have tried moving the Card around but this hasnt helped either, My Resources dont seem to be a problem they are hovering around 88% or so after a restart. I did notice when I run msconfig that its trying to load my DOS drivers for my SoundCard, I find this strange since I have disabled this in all profiles. I will try unselecting this in msconfig to see if that makes any difference...

Rick

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice