1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 "My Computer" Constantly Frozen-Ugh!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jaylesh, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaylesh

jaylesh Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I received as a gift Norton Systworks 2002, installed it, but then when I restarted my computer, windows said something to the effect "Key part of Windows now missing due to installation of following program: Norton Anti Virus"...so i uninstalled the program, but here's what happens now:

I load my computer, and everything comes up fine. But when I click on My Computer, pn the bottom of the page it says "11 Objects" should be shown, but only the a,c,d,and e drives are visible....also, on the top of the screen the "Go" seems frozen outwards, as if clicked once and frozen in time. The whole screen freezes up, and the mouse doesnt work on anything.

The only way to get out of it is to push alt control delete, and it says "My Computer (not responding)... once i click end, i have to push explorer recovery to get my windows screen back to normal.

What should I do?? Any tips? Thanks,all

Jason

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Have you tried to log back on in safe mode?

Savvy :)

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have WinME you have the option of using System Restore. If you have Win98 you can try restoring a registry that predates the Norton installation. There are 4 viable backups. To restore one, press and hold the ctrl key as soon as the computer starts to boot. A "startup menu" should appear with 6 options. Choose "command prompt". At the c:\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a started registry prior to the system works installation.

4. ratchet

ratchet

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, don't give up. 98 is great!
    Search MSN for OS decay, see if you fit the description, if so go for it. Worked wonders for me.
    PS make sure you know what you are getting into before you dive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice